PDA

View Full Version : NZ Cyclist hit on purpose

crazycanuck
09-22-2006, 10:30 PM
A young man is now a tetrapelegic after being hit on purpose by some goons.

My thoughts are with his family.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10402610

National News
Senseless driving paralyses cyclist

Saturday September 23, 2006
By Louisa Cleave

A teenage cyclist is paralysed from the chest down after police believe a vehicle deliberately ran him off the road, forcing him into a concrete wall.

The 17-year-old was knocked unconscious and suffered serious spinal injuries when he was forced to veer away from a white van that swerved towards him on Glengarry Rd in West Auckland on Tuesday night.

The van, with two men inside, did not stop.

The teen underwent major surgery at Auckland City Hospital yesterday.

Police said they learned about the "senseless, irresponsible act" from a family member late this week.

They have been unable to interview the cyclist, but there was no indication he had any previous contact with the van's occupants.

"There was no reason why the driver of the white van needed to swerve or force this young cyclist off the road," said police spokesman Kevin Loughlin.

The incident happened as the youth was pedalling home from the Glen Eden shops at 5.45pm.

Constable Blair Atkinson of the police serious crash unit said the teenager was slowly remembering details but the main focus was on his medical treatment.

"This is a young man who is currently paralysed as a result of indiscriminate driving. He was deliberately forced off the road by what was a senseless, irresponsible act."

Mr Atkinson called on the driver and his passenger to come forward and talk about the crash.

"They may have thought it was a fun thing to do at the time and may not be aware of the serious nature of the incident."

However, he said it was likely the men saw the teenager smash into the wall. "They would know what they've done."

Police also wanted to hear from any witnesses or from people with information about the white van.

"Somewhere in Auckland, somebody will have knowledge of this van, and of the two men who were in this vehicle," Mr Atkinson said.

"We have no other details or information, apart from the fact that the van is white. If anyone has seen a vehicle with this description in Glen Eden area at the time of this incident, police certainly want to hear."

RoadRaven
09-23-2006, 12:46 AM
Oh, CC
I was just reading about this about 1/2 an hour ago - all of us crowding round the PC and reading the news page

Just awful - we don't know him, but I hope they get the bas***ds.

:mad:

light_sabe_r
09-23-2006, 01:54 AM
That's horrible!!!!! It's ATTEMPTED MURDER is what it is!

I hope the cops catch this F***WITS!

Lise
09-23-2006, 06:57 AM
Incredible. What a stupid and forever life-changing split-second decision. Wrong, wrong, wrong. :mad: