PDA

View Full Version : Quill bar stem

KnottedYet
09-20-2006, 08:44 PM
So... there's this "min insert" line on my quill stem. I want it about 1/2 inch higher than that line. It's a ridiculously short distance from the gooseneck. 3/4 inch.

How important is it that I stay within that line? I want my bars about 1 inch ABOVE my seat.

Do tell.

SadieKate
09-20-2006, 08:56 PM
That line is there for a reason - your safety. Get a new stem with the appropriate amount of rise.

Same goes for running a seatpost above the max height.

Both are engineered to take the stresses above/below that line. Just think about the force of your weight coming down a hill at high speeds.

KnottedYet
09-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Ok, I'll be good. First thing is getting my seatpost trimmed by about 1 or 1 1/2 inches. If I still need a taller stem I'll ask my LBS for help.

My 'new' Waterford is so close to fitting me perfectly that I'm kinda impatient.

DebW
09-21-2006, 02:39 AM
So... there's this "min insert" line on my quill stem. I want it about 1/2 inch higher than that line. It's a ridiculously short distance from the gooseneck. 3/4 inch.

How important is it that I stay within that line? I want my bars about 1 inch ABOVE my seat.

Don't even think about going above that line. SK is right. Get a new stem. 3/4 inch from the gooseneck is ridiculously short. If you are going to change the stem, hold off on installing the new bar tape until you swap the stem.

Ok, I'll be good. First thing is getting my seatpost trimmed by about 1 or 1 1/2 inches. If I still need a taller stem I'll ask my LBS for help.

Seatpost trimmed? What does that mean? You're going to cut it shorter?

KnottedYet
09-21-2006, 05:36 AM
yah. The seatpost is very very long, and I can't lower the seat enough. I need to lower it by about an inch. When I try, the post "clunks" into something (bottle cage bolt? seems about the right height) and WILL NOT MOVE. LBS said they could cut an inch off the end so I could lower the seat a little more.

I won't move the bar stem. I can't move the bolt anyway. (I tried) I can see the words "min insert" but not the line they are on.

First I'll take the seat down a notch. Once I get the seat where I need it the stem might be fine. I'll ride it a while. Then if I feel like I need to I will swap out the stem. (for taller and maybe less reach)

I love the seatpost. It has a curved top like a candy cane and you adjust the tilt of the seat by where on the curve you lock down the seat clamp. Elegant and simple.

(Really close to fitting fine. I just need 1 inch less of seatpost and 1 inch more of stem so I can do the little fiddly adjustments for my goofy knees and hips and grumpy neck.)