PDA

View Full Version : What To Wear?

pcnurse
01-05-2002, 06:38 PM
I've finally made the decision to start biking. I've gained weight, I feel tired and unattractive. I miss the energy I once had. Comfort is very important to me. The weather outside has been pretty cold, and all I really have to wear are sweats and tennis shoes. Could someone give me some tips on warm, yet comfortable clothing? Also, a recommended website would help, as I plan to order from the internet.

Put it this way, it's already difficult enough to make that first ride. If I am comfortable, and warm, it will be a whole heck of a lot easier to take that leap. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

I am glad to have found this site. Maybe I can get some much needed motivation.

Dogmama
01-13-2002, 04:33 PM
Try the Nashbar catalog that is on-line. Also, Team Estrogen has a link for clothing.

It is important that the layer closest to your skin be able to wick moisture. I bought an undergarment made by DeFeet that is really good.

Depending on where you live, you might also invest in warm cycling socks. If my toes are cold, I'm miserable. :(

You'll find that once you get out there & get moving, you'll warm up quickly. Good luck!

pcnurse
01-14-2002, 08:46 AM
I appreciate your advice. Hopefully, I can get the motivation to get started soon. The first step is the hardest.

P.S. I'll be sure to wear warm socks. :O)

Janet

Mary T.
01-19-2002, 10:48 AM
Welcome to the world of cycling. It is a great world to live in. You meet the nicest people. Just say hello.

What part of the country do you live in? It would determine what type clothes to wear. What type of bike do you ride?- mountain, road or hybrid? I live in VA. and ride my mountain bike in the winter because it is so much warmer in the woods (no head wind!). I have to remind myself not to wear too much eventhough it seems cold as can be.

Just this week I rode twice in the morning before work. One day it was 30 and the next it was 38 degrees. I was lucky enough to not have to work until 10:00 so I went out at 8:00AM for a ride. The first day it was easy to get up but the second day I was really tired and had to drag myself out of bed. Within 2 minutes I had a huge smile on my face and was so happy I had gotten out of bed. It can be the same for you too. Like NIKE says - Just Do It!

Please email me if you like. I love to talk about biking.

velo_rider2
05-20-2002, 03:39 PM
Hi!
I'm new to cycling and a plus size and I have found that the plus section at this site has alot of choices. Also Mt. Borah and Terry. I'm not quite ready for the traditional bike pants and both sites carry shorts with liners, very comfortable. they also carry warmer clothing.

Happy Trails!

J**
05-21-2002, 06:04 AM
Welcome aboard! If you give yourself half a chance, you will love cycling. It's a great way for someone who's overweight to get back into shape because it's not as hard on the joints as running and a whole lot more fun than walking.

Here are some clothing suggestions.
1. Whatever you do, don't ride in those sweats. They will quickly turn clammy with perspiration and make you feel miserable, especially if it's already cold outside. And then you'll hate cycling before you even know what it's like.

2. If you don't want to ride in tights but it's not warm enough for shorts yet, you may be able to find some workout pants that are made from a blend of synthetic fibers. Mine are called "Not Quite Tights" and I got them from Travelsmith (online), but your local sporting goods stores may have something similar.

3. Good cool weather choices for tops are, as someone else mentioned, a wicking undergarment--something like Coolmax, which is a brand name, but there are others that work just as well. If you can't find things without any cotton content, at least look for low cotton content, blended with some synthetic fiber. Fleece makes a good outer garment--it will keep you warm even if it gets wet. An old wool sweater would work too--it's the traditional alternative to fleece.

4. For weather that's borderline--not too cold, not too hot--check out some of the cycling knickers that a lot of companies are selling now. I have two pairs of Terry knickers that are my favorite cycling "bottoms." They're just as tight as traditional cycling shorts, but the extra length makes them feel less revealing. They're also very flattering, even on my not-so-svelte, middle-aged legs. They come in a wide range of sizes, including plus sizes. Check out http://www.terrybicycles.com/ and www.teamestrogen.com

5. Another comfort consideration will be your saddle. Check out other threads on this site for useful saddle information. Especially, don't be afraid to ask your bike shop whether they'll let you exchange a saddle that doesn't work for you, until you find the right one.

6. Have fun!
--J**

bikerchicky
06-03-2002, 08:38 AM
Hey pcnurse, you are already stepping in the right direction. i also took up biking to lose weight and get back energy. i LOVE it! these are just the few positives i have found.

health: its good for your body,heart and soul. it will lower you BP, it is low impact. you will lose inches and weight.

clothing: (spring/summer)i have a habit of dressing too warm. you cannot go by the coolness of the air. you need a short sleeve jersey, arm warmers, wind jacket, coolmax sox, good biking baggies with padding that is a one-piece chamois. dress to keep cool but prepare if your not. your body heats up more than you know. i have not ridden in the cooler weather yet. i am from new hampshire.

bike: it sounds like a Specialized Expedition ($350) would be a great bike for you. it is a comfort bike with straight handle bars. tires for packed trails and the road. ans a suspension seatpost for comfort.

club: i have joined a biking club that has organized rides for different level of on-road nad off-road rides. lots of fun and lots of great people.

food/water: it is very very important to eat right ,before and after a ride. hydration is also very important. i eat at least one clif bar per hour of biking. i bring powerade on a ride. i seem to dehydrate very easy. i advise a good book by Liz Applegate, Play Hard Eat Right.

note: when i started out i thought i was going to die. but in a monthes time i have inproved dramatically.

oops i forgot this:

ID: if you bike a lone please carry a form of ID that include emergancy contacts, allergy info, medical conditions, and medicine being taken, etc i laminated one to put in my pocket.

bike computer: a must have to measure you mileage, speed and time. keep a log to see your progress.

i hope this info helps and i hope that you have continued in your good atitude towards your health.