PDA

View Full Version : Tips for music and technique

jc23
03-16-2004, 06:58 AM
Hi All
I'm new here! I received my Reebok cycling certification last November and just started teaching this past February.

I'm looking for tips on great music and what technique you use. I'm finding that some of the music I've chosen is a little short in length and there fore it cuts my piece a bit.

Thanks for any input you may have!

JC :D

Irulan
03-16-2004, 08:27 AM
you might just read a bunch of the old threads here. Lots of dicussion from both the instructors pov and the class-attendee POV on what sucks, what doesn't, what we love/hate about spinning and so on.

Welcome aboard.

Irulan

AutumnBreez
03-21-2005, 09:08 AM
Here is a link for music for teaching/training

https://www.dynamixmusic.com/

Search around on the site think you will find what your looking for.

ABCL

Raindrop
03-22-2005, 08:42 PM
Congratulations on becoming a indoor cycling instructor. I've been doing it for nine years now and am still excited about it. :D

As far as music goes...choose music that motivates you. I'm assuming that you probably attended other instructors classes before deciding to get certified? If so, you know what type of music really works in a Spinning class.

I find that every club I teach at seems to have a different "vibe". I don't completely cater to that, but I do choose music to fit my profiles based on whether they like head-banging, techno, or classic rock etc. I use a variety of music in every profile so, if a member doesn't like one, they'll probably like another one that comes up. I also steer away from top 40 type stuff. It dates your profiles, and choosing music less often heard, but fitting your profile works best.

For some great ideas on music and developing profiles check some of the following sites:

www.pedal-on.com

www.turnstep.com (cycling board on TBB)

http://www.innercycling.com/innercycling.forums.html

doc
03-23-2005, 03:18 PM
I agree that top 40 dates you very quickly BUT, old top 40 is really fun. Top 40 from the 80's and 70's usually makes everyone laugh. Assuming your class is not a bunch of 18 year olds! Then everyone can agree that they loved/hated that song and it brings back memories of this boyfriend, that year in college etc. Have fun!

han-grrl
03-25-2005, 01:28 AM
My two cents:
1) pick music that inspires you to teach. If you ReALLY hate your music, it will come out in your teaching
2) you can't make everyone happy. You are bound to encounter music complainers. Don't take it personally. By having a variety of styles in your mix, there is probably a little something for everyone
3) please don't sing to your music. I see some instructors singing away. ugh (need i say more).
4) delirium and crystal method are probably two bands that i use a lot in my spin classes.

Happy Spinning!

hannah

fasteryet
03-26-2005, 02:19 PM
4) delirium and crystal method are probably two bands that i use a lot in my spin classes.

Those are bands? Delerieum and Crystal Meth are some things that I remember from my earlier days ;)

Balrog
05-10-2005, 09:55 AM
I see this thread is a tad "stale," but ... what o' that?

I ... AM A SPINNING JUNKIE.

Now, not so much so that on gorgeous bright spring days such as this, I'd rather be in the basement staring at the stairs in front of me, grinding away chanting "Om Tara tuttare ture soha." But! Almost that bad.

I have used my 9-year-old Cycleops wind trainer and my 13-year-old twelve speed to lose 40 pounds over the last two years, by intervals as well as plain old 40-minutes-at-78%-hrm. Sometimes I get up at 5am to ride 80% for 30-35 minutes before eating anything, a trick a lot of pro ironbuilders use to jump their metabolic fires from fasting/glycogen to that stored stuff (and seems to work for me).

Or, I just want to listen to the beat:

Psychotrance 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004 (Moonshine Music) and Hard Desert Trance (same distributor)

No: traffic/stop signs/pot holes/road rage/headwinds/rain/flat tires

Sometimes I just want to concentrate on the Void! "OM Tara ... "

Anybody else?!

:)

swlsue
06-14-2005, 05:42 AM
I'm an instructor as well -

Have you tried Turnstep.com for music and patterns?

VenusdeVelo
07-30-2005, 04:17 AM
Hannah...singing to music -- that IS the worst!!

I like Delerium, Crystal method, also just hookup with iTunes or someone similar and listen to stuff and see what makes you want to jump on your spinner and choreograph a routine!

Try:
Sam Cardon or Kurt Bestor (warmup stuff, 1st song, Kurt Bestor's "Sage of Lamberene" is a really nice warmup)
Bond
Safri Duo (great beats...try "Prelude", "Samb-adagio" are instructor faves)
Moodswings
Santana
Moby (his more upbeat stuff)
Blue Man Group
Enigma (good hill stuff)
AfroCelt
BT
Faithless
U2
Natalie Merchant (for cooldown)

So many!!

WWOW
08-04-2005, 04:21 AM
Hey All,
I teach an AFAA approved workshop called The Profile, The Music, The Ride.
It's all about how music can affect(for the better or worse) an indoor cycling class!
Music is soooo important and I totally agree with fellow posters to choose music that rocks your world. I like to call spinning a rock concert on wheels because the music makes an hour feel like 5 minutes!

I must say,,,I'm not a rocker,,,I choose music from all genre's. I have found if you choose one style, albeit, rock, opera, trance it really segments your class but, if you choose different genres, it appeals to more people.......

Remember, this is their ride-not yours.

Keep the class moving-don't feel compelled to change movements on each song.

Spend time with a move vs. doing three different moves in one song.
Keep the class flowing-nice transitions.

Sporadic water breaks-instead of "ok it's time to have some water", let them drink whenever they want.

Mix music using MixMeister-a DJ mixing service---awesome!!!!

Make your last 3 songs memorable-that's what they'll remember most.

Don't use the clock ie: 30 seconds, instead use verse/chorus.

Give me 8 more seconds----don't ever go beyond what you have told them. If you tell them 30 seconds(which I don't recommend) don't go beyond that.

voice, music and mic level appropriate.

REMEMBER! Music will make a difference in your class. Your numbers in your classes will increase and the participants will be talking about the instructor with the best music.

The temptation is very strong for many instructors to select music that they know and like, or that their students will know and like because it is familiar. But this may not be the way to go(top 40). you want them focusing on their ride and the music is the background.

Great films are remembered by their soundtracks. The careful selection of just the right music can greatly influence the perception and overall opinion that participants will have of your class. I believe that the same careful selection process is even more true for building the "soundtrack" for a memorable class.

Now with all that said,,,,,,,,,,my main source of musical ideas come from
pedal-on.com and
innercycling.com

Oodles and oodles of knowledge on these sites!
You'll have to register---but no spyware!!!
Bev in SC

velofanat
10-22-2005, 02:34 PM
:confused: Hello, Ladies,
I was looking for the classes to get certified as a spinning instructor, but can not get any trustworthy information.
Any hints?
with my appreciation

VenusdeVelo
10-22-2005, 02:44 PM
There's a lot of good info on spinning.com which is the Johnny G "aka Spinning" certification. Keiser Power Pacing was another cert I ran into but personally I though Johnny G was very well accepted everywhere.

You take a day course, in which you will also have a ride and learn class techniques. There is a test, and then after 3 months (I think that's what I remember) you'll receive your certification. You can teach prior to that point though.

Also try visiting the forum Pedal-on.com for more diverse thoughts on the matter...good luck!

like2bike
05-10-2007, 11:03 AM
:confused: Hello, Ladies,
I was looking for the classes to get certified as a spinning instructor, but can not get any trustworthy information.
Any hints?
with my appreciation

Hey velo,
Definitely try the spinning.com site for certification information.

Also, the site www.innercycling.com has a lot of good information. The people on the site are extremely helpful and encouraging, and very willing to share information.

Good luck!:)