PDA

View Full Version : Long distance fuel?

colby
09-18-2006, 06:31 PM
So I was trying to figure out who sells Hammer in my area (I really like their raspberry gel) and ended up reading their page on "What Fuel is Right for Me?" (http://www.e-caps.com/za/ECP?PAGE=ARTICLE&CAT=VEGGIE&ARTICLE.ID=1252). The part that caught my eye was that for extended exercise beyond 2 hours, some protein is needed to keep the muscles happy.

Since my training so far has mostly maxed out at 2, 2.5 hours except my last long run, I have only been using gels (and some clif bloks and sport beans for variety), definitely no protein. I find that usually my stomach doesn't want to consider major solids at that point, though I like the gels and bloks because they are a little more than just straight up liquid. This is less of an issue for me biking because I tend to not push as hard, and wasn't on as extensive of a training schedule (though next year, that will come!). I'm willing to try out some different combinations of bars, liquids, whatever. Currently I carry a 1.8L camelbak waistpack, which is good enough for about 2.5 hours if it's not hot weather. I use gels every 30 minutes, or the bloks/beans every 15 minutes, but haven't tried solid food (like a clif builder or something) or protein mix (which I'd unfortunately have to carry separately).

Since I have no idea where to start, I thought I'd ask you guys to get some ideas. What are you guys doing to keep your bodies going? Just gels? A combination? What's your food schedule for these long runs and your eventual race?

Lise
09-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Hi, Colby,

AccelGel has protein + carbs: http://www.accelerade.com/pages/accel_gel.html

It's the gel I use. I hate the texture of gel, BUT it is easy to digest, and easy to carry. Lately I've eaten Clif Blocks on the bike, and gel on the runs.

I got a box of it as a deal from TriZone last year. This summer I noticed that a few of the packages looked like they were about to pop! I just pitched those. Others that I've eaten, though a year old, taste fine.

~GACK~

Just kidding. They haven't killed me yet. Try them out. They seem to meet the need you've identified.

L.

KnottedYet
09-18-2006, 10:42 PM
Clif electrolyte. Clif Shot Blox. Lara bars. (or Clif Nectar bars)

Plus beer and margaritas. (Seattle TE ride)

Lise
09-19-2006, 04:55 AM

??? I just looked at my Blox. Zero protein. L.

KnottedYet
09-19-2006, 07:19 AM
not much protien in beer and margaritas, either.:eek:

Nup, those 3 things are what I eat on rides. Get my protein from the Lara bars. 5 grams. (well, if I eat two during a ride, thats 10 grams, so we can pretend it's significant:D )

colby
09-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Hi, Colby,

AccelGel has protein + carbs: http://www.accelerade.com/pages/accel_gel.html

It's the gel I use. I hate the texture of gel, BUT it is easy to digest, and easy to carry. Lately I've eaten Clif Blocks on the bike, and gel on the runs.

I got a box of it as a deal from TriZone last year. This summer I noticed that a few of the packages looked like they were about to pop! I just pitched those. Others that I've eaten, though a year old, taste fine.

~GACK~

Just kidding. They haven't killed me yet. Try them out. They seem to meet the need you've identified.

L.

Thanks, Lise. Glad you're still alive ;) How's the taste of the AccelGel? 5g protein in that little package, dang.

I usually go for the berry flavors, though I really like the Gu banana flavor as well. Clif's berry flavor is better than Gu's berry flavor, and Hammer's berry flavor is better than both. I ran out and in a pinch bought PowerBar's berry flavored gels, yeeeeeeeeeuck! I usually avoid the ones with caffeine, and I'm not really sure about the vanilla/chocolate/mocha flavors, though I'm thinking about trying one or two. I find that the flavor I eat really changes whether I can handle the texture and for some reason the banana is the easiest to eat (must be because bananas already have that mushy texture).

colby
09-19-2006, 10:47 AM

There's got to be protein in beer, right? All those hops? :)

I might have to test using bars vs. gels vs. liquids. I have those Clif builders which are heavy protein, and I have a few Nectars and Luna bars as well. I'm afraid the food in my stomach will make me queasy, but there's no way to know until you try (unfortunately!!).