PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on Terry Damselfly / FireFly

moogal
09-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Hi all,

I've been using the Terry Butterfly Ti on both my MTB and roadbike. On my MTB, it is fine but on my roadbike, I'm starting to find it too wide at the rear, to the extend that it is chafting against my bike shorts.

Started looking for narrower saddles ie Damselfly, FireFly and Xero. Just wondering if anyone else has tried them before I part with my $$. Thanks inadvance.

emily_in_nc
09-18-2006, 06:25 PM
I tried the Damselfly a couple of summers ago after using the Butterfly for a long time beforehand. Most miserable saddle I've ever ridden. The cutout was super narrow and pinched and chafed my girly bits raw. It was hard as all get out too.

Another small (kinda short and narrow) but comfy-to-me saddle you might want to consider is the Selle San Marco Atola Gelaround. It's similar in size to the Damselfly but the cutout is a soft diamond shape so no girlybit chafing. I have used it on both my road and mtb and really like it. It took my sitbones a couple of rides to break it in as it is less cushy than a Butterfly, but once I got past the first few rides, I was fine on it and had much less chafing in the back crease of my leg/butt than with the wider Butterfly.

Do a search in this forum for the saddle names you're interested in, and you can find more posts on any or all of them. I am sure I have a post in "most hated saddles" on the Damselfly!

Good luck!
Emily

GLC1968
09-19-2006, 05:53 AM
I haven't tried the Damselfly, but I ride the regular Fly. The Butterfly is too wide for me (chafing and sliding forward) but the Fly is perfect! It's similar in padding to the Butterfly (a tad less) and it's narrower. I actually have the "Fly for Cure" because I like the smooth finish (and the pink ribbon).

http://www.terrybicycles.com/detail.html?c=Saddles&sc=Men%27s+Performance&item_no=2123941

I have also tried (and liked for up to about 50 miles) the Falcon Y. It was extremely comfortable and super light...but wasn't quite enough padding for the LONG rides. If you don't ride distance, I highly recommend it.

http://www.terrybicycles.com/detail.html?item_no=2156800

Squirrel 2
09-19-2006, 01:38 PM
The Firefly is closest to what you are riding in terms of shape, cut-out & padding, biggest difference being that it is narrower than the Butterfly. So if you are happy with the Butterfly other than the width, the Firefly might be a good bet.

The Damselfly is much, much narrower. Unless you have very narrow sitbones, you might fall off of that one. Because the whole saddle is so narrow, the cut-out is also very narrow. I had the same experience as Emily with the cut-out can folding in on soft tissue & pinching me raw. I know some racers who like that saddle a lot, but I couldn't deal with the cut-out.

The Xero is the same width as the Butterfly, so it might be too wide for you again. Unless you go with the men's version. It is much, much harder than the Butterfly. The shell is different, and the padding. So it will feel like sitting on a rock in comparison with your Butterfly.

emily_in_nc
09-19-2006, 06:02 PM
I have also tried (and liked for up to about 50 miles) the Falcon Y. It was extremely comfortable and super light...but wasn't quite enough padding for the LONG rides. If you don't ride distance, I highly recommend it.

I'm glad to hear this as I have been looking for feedback on the Falcon Y. I am very attracted to it (saddle lust!?) and think I'd like to try it on my mountain bike at some point. I like my Atola a lot, but I have read/heard that having a longer nose can be helpful on a mountain bike, and the Atola is very short (it was originally purchased for a road bike). I am not sure why the longer nose is important, but I would like to try it.

If you are looking to sell your Falcon Y by any chance, PM me. Thanks!

Emily

GLC1968
09-20-2006, 05:02 AM
Emily - I bought it from Terry directly and rode it enough in 30-days to make my decision, so I returned it! My husband (who's sit bones are spaced the same as mine) also liked it for shorter distances but then he fell for a Brooks.

I rode the Falcon for about 5 fast lunch time rides and it virtually disappered beneath me! The 65 mile weekend training ride left my sit bones sore...and I probably could have gotten used to it, but then I fell in love with the Fly.

I've been thinking about trying the Firefly for my mountian bike, but for road riding, I don't like that there is so much stitching and seams on it. I like smooth saddles over the long haul. :D

fixedgeargirl
09-20-2006, 09:07 AM
Call me a freak, but I have been loving my Damselfly. Then, I am built, shall we say, narrow :o . The width is perfect, as is the relative short length of the wide part before the nose begins (does that make sense :confused: ). Makes plenty of room for my, erm, slightly disproportionate thighs. I like the power transfer of the firm platform. Though as longer rides (50+ miles) become more common for me, I am becoming more interested in finding something with the *exact same* dimensions, but with a little more padding.

emily_in_nc
09-20-2006, 06:47 PM
Emily - I bought it from Terry directly and rode it enough in 30-days to make my decision, so I returned it!

Thanks for letting me know! I think my saddle lust will have to remain unrequited for awhile as I've been spending too much money lately. Perhaps I'll get it for myself for my next birthday -- not til April, but it's not like I don't have other saddles that work fine until then. Thanks again for your feedback, though. On my full-suspension mountain bike, I don't have to worry so much about the saddle being hard (the suspension dampens the bumps a LOT, and I don't ride long distances or time), it's more the shape/width (I have narrow sitbones) and cutout shape and comfort that are important, and lightweight is always a plus too!

Emily

Nanci
09-21-2006, 06:27 AM
BF has a mens Firefly that we'd part with- cheap. He has yet to find a saddle he likes- he also hates the Arione. I wish I could get him to try the Blackwell Flow.

Nanci

moogal
09-25-2006, 12:14 AM
BF has a mens Firefly that we'd part with- cheap. He has yet to find a saddle he likes- he also hates the Arione. I wish I could get him to try the Blackwell Flow.

Nanci

Hey Nanci, are you refering to the Men's Fly Ti ? What's the condition and can you PM me your price ? Thanks.

Nanci
09-25-2006, 07:50 AM
BF informed me Saturday that he hates the Areione so much he wants to put the Firefly back on. Good thing I didn't sell it without asking him!

Nanci

roadie gal
11-29-2006, 02:45 PM
I have the Firefly on both my road bike and mtn bike. I like a saddle with a narrow nose, too. The Firefly has worked very well for me. It's fine for the mountain bike.

I'm looking for a different saddle for my tri bike just because in the aero position I get a bit *squished*.

dirtygirl1
12-11-2006, 01:21 PM
I love the damselfly too .. but am also petite. It was perfect for the shorter (2.5 hr) races. I have also used it in a multi-day race (Trans Rockies) and it did leave some sores ... but show me a saddle that won't after 7 days and 40 hours in the saddle. I had used the butter fly for La Ruta and it left even worse sores ... 3 days and 27 hours in the saddle.

All in all though ... terry makes some awesome saddles. i still use my butterfly on one of my bikes.

I am getting back into the multi-day events and am going to give the firefly a whirl on my commuter bike. I'll have to post an update after I've put in some hours on it!

spokewench
12-12-2006, 08:58 AM
Woa Dirty Girl:

You're a tough chick if you did La Ruta! Way to go!