PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Supplement?

roguedog
09-17-2006, 07:37 PM
I take one day but I got cramps in my calf which you all have said might be attributed to not enuf calcium (which I've suspected/known? for a while anyway).

What calcium supplement do you take? Tums? Os Cal? Other?

snapdragen
09-17-2006, 07:41 PM
I take 500 mg twice a day. The tablets are combined with vitimin D.

Nature Made (http://www.naturemade.com/ProductDatabase/prd_prod.asp?productid=31)

KnottedYet
09-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Costco calcium citrate with vit D, B6, Magnesium, zinc, copper, boron, and maganese.

I only take one (500mg) a day.

Dogmama
09-18-2006, 04:05 AM
Costco calcium citrate with vit D, B6, Magnesium, zinc, copper, boron, and maganese.

I only take one (500mg) a day.

I think KN has it down. You need vit D for calcium to be absorbed. Calcium citrate is best absorbed. And your body cannot absorb a whole bunch at a time. Orange juice helps with absorption. We also need magnesium. Zinc & copper are a good combination because too much of either mineral will deplete the other mineral.

Grog
09-18-2006, 08:39 AM
The recommended daily intake of calcium is 1200 mg a day, or so, for a woman.

Plus vit D (can't remember how much) for absorbtion.

A decent glass of milk is about 300 mg, to give you a ballpark measure.

However I've always thought cramps were caused by potassium and magnesium deficits, not to calcium. :confused:

Quillfred
09-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Here is a good link about the need for taking magnesium with calcium:

http://www.mgwater.com/calmagab.shtml

Also all calcium is not thought to be equally beneficial. The following sources are associated with lead: oyster shell, dolomite and bone meal. I recall calcium citrate as being one form that is easier to absorb. My personal fav is fortified OJ and the Stonyfield Farm's yogurt drinks.

Quill

The recommended daily intake of calcium is 1200 mg a day, or so, for a woman.

Plus vit D (can't remember how much) for absorbtion.

A decent glass of milk is about 300 mg, to give you a ballpark measure.

However I've always thought cramps were caused by potassium and magnesium deficits, not to calcium. :confused:

RoadRaven
09-18-2006, 10:42 AM
I have these cool little "lolly" things I bought from the chemist (drugstore to those in the USofA) called calci-chews. They are caramel flavour and potentially very moorish. I only use them occasionally though as I normally drink alot of milk.

roguedog
09-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Great link, Quill. I hope you're not insulted if I ask about the validity of the contents. Sorry, I've been on the Web a while and there's a lot of information out there, much of it contradictory.

I don't know much about nutrition so I'm just asking so I can sound intelligent the next time someone asks me!

How come none of you take a multi-vitamin like One A Day? Or did you all just answer my question specifically re: calcium intake?

Grog, is it really 1200 mg??? OMG. I hate the taste of milk. BLEH Even the thought of one glass is gross much less 4! BLEH.

And now you all know why I need calcium. Parents used to bribe me to drink milk by giving me chocolate milk.. which now also makes me wanna throw up. It just does not sit well. Actually, milk might be ok if all it did was sit!

I'll eat yogurt, ICE CREAM (yum!), cheese but not consistently. I read that almonds are also a source of calcium but really dairy isn't really a staple in my diet. It's just not an Asian thing.

KnottedYet
09-18-2006, 09:27 PM
I drink fortified rice milk.

SKnot likes the Stoneyfield Farm yogurt smoothies.

I also take a multivit, vit C, and vit B12. when I remember.... and I'm not good at remembering.

Bike Goddess
09-21-2006, 01:37 PM
I use EZORB- different kind of calcium that doesn't need anything else for absorption. Check it out on the "net"!

Grog
09-21-2006, 08:04 PM
How come none of you take a multi-vitamin like One A Day? Or did you all just answer my question specifically re: calcium intake?

No pressed-powder vitamins, thanks. I'll stick with a lot of very diverse fresh food.

Grog, is it really 1200 mg??? OMG. I hate the taste of milk. BLEH Even the thought of one glass is gross much less 4! BLEH.

Pretty sure, yup.

Green veggies have a lot of calcium too, but it takes about two big stems of broccoli to equate a glass of milk. I love broccoli but it's just not as convenient!!

donnambr
09-21-2006, 10:34 PM
I learned something interesting about taking calcium supplements from my dentist. My teeth have been staining awfully in the last year. This also coincides with beginning to take supplemental calcium. I was told that when some of the non-absorbed calcuim ends up in your saliva, it attaches to your teeth. Before that happens, though, it also clings to food particles in your mouth. I counldn't figure out why my teeth were so brown after just 6 months. I don't smoke or drink coffee. I'm deficient, so I must continue taking it. Now I use my sonicare with baking soda once a week. It seems to be working.

Franci
09-27-2006, 09:39 AM
I think that there is so many products out there that it just comes down to personal preference; although i am sure some are better than others. you just have to find the right balance for yourself between cost and effectivness. personally i have been using a newer calcium product on the market Algaecal which is not a calcium carbonate and comes with 800 IU of natural Vitamin D3 which is needed for absorbsion. I have been feeling really good actually, probably stick with this one for a while. was using the okinawa japan previous which is good too. they do have a website with loads of good info too if you are interested in checking it out.
f

snapdragen
09-27-2006, 11:39 AM
Here's another good article on calcium:

Calcium (http://www.hhp.ufl.edu/faculty/pbird/keepingfit/ARTICLE/CALREQ.HTM)

After taking stock of how much milk, yogurt, spinach (Wah! 'til recently), etc I eat - I'm now only taking 500mg each day; usually after lunch. I can't take it in the morning because it messes with my thyroid meds.

Someone asked about vitamins pills - I take 1 Z-Bec tab a day. It was recommended to me on a Rosacea b-board.

SoccerMom
09-29-2006, 12:55 PM
I don't really like to take calcium supplements that much because it does not agree with me, but I do give some to my children.

Anyways I try and get as much calcium in my diet. A pretty usefull tool for measuring the calcium in your diet is here

Calcium Calculator (http://www.algaecal.com/calcium-calculator.html)

I hope this helps

Dianyla
09-29-2006, 01:02 PM
When I remember to take it, I take this Calcium + (http://www.rainbowlight.com/product.aspx?id=CT9176&mid=1552) supplement by Rainbow Light. It's got calcium, magnesium, vitamin D, and a number of good joint supportive herbs.

I often forget to take it because I have to take it separately from my iron pills because it interferes with iron absorption. I always remember my iron first thing in the morning, but then have to wait 6 more hours before I can take the calcium. And by then my day gets so busy that I forget. :o