PDA

View Full Version : tree hugging can be dangerous!

littlegrasshopp
09-17-2006, 04:43 PM
On a ride today, one of our guys was going into a dip. Somehow he decided against it and grabbed a tree instead. The momentum of his forward movement didn't work well with the stopping and it dislocated his shoulder in two different direction it appears. We were pretty far into the trail when it happened but had plenty of ice in our camal backs and lots of people to help with bikes and run to meet the park service with the vehicle they came for him in. He just had to walk to the two lane trail. I think the hardest part for him was the he was in a part of the dips that none of us in the back were riding - and the guys he was following didn't know he was following them anymore. So no one realized he was missing. We were all playing in the same area - he was just down in a hole that we weren't riding near. He finally yelled loud enough and we went looking for him. All in all, he did really well and is hopefully feeling much better tonight.

This was the first serious wreck I've been around for. It was nice to see how calm everyone stayed and how quickly things actually got moving. Made me feel even more confident with the group we ride with. We did decide though that we need to take a wilderness first aid course. It's been a while!

bouncybouncy
09-18-2006, 06:07 AM
I am sorry but your title gave me a chuckle!!! Then I read the content :eek: ...I hope your friend is ok!!! and that you learned a valuable lesson...tree hugging while mountain biking are not safe.

***ps: I hear squirrel kissing is not any safer :p

tattiefritter
09-18-2006, 06:25 AM
Trees can be fairly unreceptive to hugging!

That reminded me of a friend of mine earlier this year - he set off second to last down a bit of singletrack with some jumps, messed up a double and flew into a tree. Unfortunately the person behind him was quite a way behind and a bit short sighted and didn't see him come off or even really see him at the side of the track in agony! He managed to get himself back up to the top where I'd gone ahead - I called the others back and he managed to limp back to the carpark.

He had almost but not quite dislocated his shoulder - stretched the ligaments. Was gingerly back on the bike within three weeks though and is going well if a little more cautious over jumps. Friend who rode past still hasn't got over the guilt ;)

Outdoor first aid courses are well worth it, I highly reccommend you go on one, even just for your own peace of mind.

emily_in_nc
09-18-2006, 06:52 PM
This was the first serious wreck I've been around for. It was nice to see how calm everyone stayed and how quickly things actually got moving. Made me feel even more confident with the group we ride with. We did decide though that we need to take a wilderness first aid course. It's been a while!

Yikes! Was this at Crabtree? I will definitely file that away in my "what not to do while mountain biking" file. Along with not clipping a tree with my handlebar, which caused my fall a few weeks ago. Ouch! Hope your friend will heal up quickly.

Emily

littlegrasshopp
09-19-2006, 05:10 AM
Yikes! Was this at Crabtree? Emily

Nope - Harris Lake. NO worries though, he was in the play area - a group of huge dips that aren't part of the regular trail. Sort of like roller coasters on a bike :)

fatbottomedgurl
09-19-2006, 12:15 PM
A poor lady in our area went face first into a patch of prickly pear cactus! A man in her group had to pull her out and remove spines all over her. Her face was a mess.:( :( :( :(

I rode that trail today and was a bit nervous...

lph
09-20-2006, 04:49 AM
Yikes! Was this at Crabtree? I will definitely file that away in my "what not to do while mountain biking" file. Along with not clipping a tree with my handlebar, which caused my fall a few weeks ago. Ouch! Hope your friend will heal up quickly.

Emily

Yeouch, that sounds painful. My wonky shoulders are wincing just thinking about it.

Other things not to do while biking: ride over skateboard jumps not wearing a helmet. My bf did that, the only time I've ever seen him not wear a helmet, and he ended up with a serious concussion, 8 stitches in his scalp, a night in hospital and a week on the sofa.

Our son who was with us then sure learned a lesson though...

VenusdeVelo
09-21-2006, 06:18 PM
Twice (maybe 3 times) now I've ridden the same trails by me -- lots of singletrack and there's this one specific skinny area where I always seem to go off kilter and the fastest reaction is to grab the tree to avoid going over. Twice now it's worked and saved my butt :eek: So I think now having introduced myself properly to this tree, we have an "understanding"....:D

littlegrasshopp
09-22-2006, 03:04 AM
Twice (maybe 3 times) now I've ridden the same trails by me -- lots of singletrack and there's this one specific skinny area where I always seem to go off kilter and the fastest reaction is to grab the tree to avoid going over. Twice now it's worked and saved my butt :eek: So I think now having introduced myself properly to this tree, we have an "understanding"....:D

:) good point...you probably shouldn't just ride up and grab a tree without saying hello first! :) Some trees might not like that!

pooks
09-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Wow. What a story! I hope the guy's injuries are easily patched up and healed. My husband separated his shoulder playing "touch" football (grrr) and a broken collarbone would have healed so much more easily.