PDA

View Full Version : Ravin' on... Racin' Goals

RoadRaven
09-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Well... I did start a thread ages ago, but I can't seem to locate it!
So I'll start another.
Its probably timely as my goals for the year actually refined themselves and became very specific about half way through the year...

I have 7 goals based around hill times and specific courses that are training related and not race related per se, so will leave those out...

When I write "competitive" in my goals, it means getting placed in the top 5.

But here are my racing goals (some achieved) for 2006:
This is my club: http://www.ramblers.co.nz

Tremain's Cooporate Triathalon, cycling section 17km, inside 35min (achieved, March 2006, 32.52min)

Competitive in G Grade by Winter series (achieved, won the series yellow jersey)

Move to F for the Spring series (achieved, though I haven't yet raced in it)

Competitive in F in Summer series

18km Dartmoor Road ITT - goal 33 mins (PB thus far, July 2006, 34:38)

18km Dump Block ITT - goal 32 mins (PB thus far, Oct 2005, 37.01)

Club Champs ITT - 20km on Bridge Pa SH2, 30 Sept, goal 33 mins

RoadRaven
09-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Well... The Club Championship Individual Time Trial is next Saturday.

I have been working specifically on cadence, on pushing my lactate threshold, and on strength (power output).

I did an aerobic time trial on the 19th Sept - a 23km course which I first rode in 1 hour, 10 minutes and 35 seconds (averaging 23.7kph).

My PB before the 19th was in July - 42 minutes and 15 seconds (average 32.66kph).

On the 19th I rode it as an aerobic TT - which is where you ride at about 5-8 heart beats below your lactate threshold... and I did a PB - 40 minutes 18 seconds (34.24 average).

On Saturday I'll be sitting on or just above my LT for the race, so I am hopeful I can pull it together like I did on the 19th because then I should do a good time.

I have not ridden the course before, though I have driven along it a few times. It is flat, and I really hope the wind is favourable.

Trekhawk
09-23-2006, 12:53 PM
Good Luck for Saturday. Dont forget to post a race report.:)

GO, GO, GO RoadRaven.:D

RoadRaven
09-29-2006, 01:28 PM
Well, I have felt wired before... but usually can manage it.

I can't wait today for the race to begin though, I woke at 5... had no intention to lurk at TE today, but have to try and focus these feelings in a useful way.

I have built up/prepared for two ITTs this year, and both I felt quite intensely about... is this race feeling "bigger" somehow to me because it is the Club Championship? Am I a fool for 'having a go' when I have only been racing since March and only been back on a bike for two years? Then I hear the self talk and chastise myself - this kind've nonsense is what kills performance in racing... so I change the internal dialogue... I have to believe - I do believe... I will ride well... I will monster the big gears as I spin like a maniac... my HR will be under control with steady breathing... I will glide through the head wind if it rises... I will fly at 45km + if I have a tail wind... I will be steady and focused and will not be phased when faster riders pass me... I am strong and undistractable... this is a taste of what I am running through my head...

K... I am off now to check my baby again, smooth her tyres, check the pressure, my helmet, the shifters... my tyres again, the chain...

http://www.ramblers.co.nz/club_results/detail.asp?id=299
PREVIEW: Bridge Pa ITT Club Champs
30/09/2006

Ivar Hopman is overseas so I will be running the TT champs on Saturday.

These are the distances:
10km: U15 Girls, U15 boys, U17 girls
15km: U19 Women, U17 Boys
20km: Vet Women, Vet B & C Men (Vet B = born 1952 - 1961, Vet C = born 1951 or before)
25km: Open women, Vet A Men, U19 men (Vet A = born 1962 - 1971)
40 km (U23 and senior men)

As we now have 295 registered members and we produce start sheets listing all members, please let me know by return email IF YOU ARE NOT going to be racing on Saturday.
This way we won't waste too many trees printing out the start sheets.

Racing starts around 2 pm in the above order.
Registration closes 1.50 p.m. NO LATE REGISTRATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER 1:50

See you there Saturday - register early please.

Howard Bott

The Ramblers Cycling Club 'Spring Series' continues this Saturday with the Club Championship Individual Time Trials being held from Bridge Pa School. All racing will be CNZ age group based with distances ranging from 10km (U15 riders) to 40km for Senior and U23 riders.

Individual Time Trialing is known as the 'Race of Truth'. No drafting is allowed and is a race of the rider against the clock with the fastest time in each age group winning. This course will be a good test for all riders and is a build up towards the upcoming National Championships and Tour of the Bay.

Registration is from 1.10pm with the first rider starting at 2pm. Although visitors and new members are most welcome and may race, they will not be eligible for club titles.
All members competing or officiating will earn two Spring Series points.

RoadRaven
09-30-2006, 10:51 AM
The TT… well, I was not happy, although that may seem strange to some of you because I did come 3rd in my age category – Vet 1 (however, there were only four riders).

The Vet 1 who came in first, Marg, is at the top of her game at the moment and will be hoping for a place in the National competition in a few weeks, so I expected her to post a much better time then me (though 6 ½ minutes is a true spanking!).

However, to come second to Caro by only 3 seconds is incredibly frustrating… I can think of several places where I could have found that 3 seconds…

My occasional training partner and work colleague came 6th in her cat, but she beat me by 12 seconds… grrrr, pleased for her but very, very peed off with myself.

Vet 1
1st – 31:30
2nd – 38:53
3rd – 38:56 <<<< Raven
4th – 43:45

Vet 2
1st – 33:26
2nd – 33:36
3rd – 35:43
4th – 37:11
5th – 38:41
6th – 38:44
7th – 39:23
8th – 40:42
9th – 47:40

So… what went right?

My training… I was very specific and thought about each ride and making it count.
My warm-up… I rode for 27 km after we got to the event… HR about 135 or lower, just gentle, got in 30-40 minutes I guess. I felt ready.
My start… I was held, headed off in the right gear, was able to stand and get a good speed up quickly.
My rhythm… mostly I had this right, although the cross winds made it difficult at times to find the right gear to be in.
My position… ideal for me… my knees were in the whole time, I didn’t look behind me once (except for the turn around, but I don’t count that as you are slowing anyway), kept my head down, my elbows in...
My intensity… I was able to keep myself at or above my LT… it hurt the whole ride… I have never been able to maintain that level before.
The head-stuff… most of the time. I was very focused and only lost it three times – and these will have lost me precious seconds too.
My time… I wanted to be under 39 minutes max… I just made it.

So… what went wrong?

My taper… looking at it, I got carried away and did too much riding the week before. And I knew it as I was doing it. But I had my attitude wrong. I kept thinking that if I didn’t ride I would lose it… whereas I KNOW this is NOT true for me. My best rides have happened after I have been virtually off the bike for a week to a week and a half.

The head stuff… Marg started 30 seconds after me and passed me like a bullet when I had only gone 1.5km out. I expected her to catch me, but was unprepared for how quickly. I dropped speed for a few moments.
Again, when Caro caught me at 4km, it threw me, I was not expecting her til a bit further on. I began at this point to wonder WTF I was doing this for… and it took me a few more precious moments to regain my speed.

Inability to push past the hurt-zone… this is part of the head-stuff… I pushed myself hard enough so I knew it hurt… I have to learn to push it further, past the point of pain until there is nothing else and I am the bike and the road.

The turn-around... beyond my control – a very nice oncoming driver decided to slow in case I was going to turn, but didn’t actually stop, so there I am signalling frantically with my head, the marshals are not signalling one way or the other and I must have lost 6-8 seconds there.

The finish… my partner caught me about 300 metres from the finish line… I had not seen him going out as I came back – if I had, I would have expected to see him before I finished. However, with over 60 riders doing the 20km distance, I thought maybe he must be last. So when he rocketed past me I was surprised and slowed – that was probably most of the 3 seconds I lost to Caro.

I felt so angry with myself as I crossed the finish line (I had set under 39 mins as a goal, but was aiming for 37) I just kept right on riding – truth be told I could not have gotten off my bike gracefully when I finished – so I kept on riding, I rode another 10km to cool down (physically and mentally) at the stunning speed of 15 -20 kph… Partner was concerned cause ho couldn’t find me but I couldn’t face speaking to anyone right away.

Today I am trying to be pragmatic… I know things I have to work on – my power output and stamina, my thought processes, getting the taper right, my focus while riding. It is also the longest TT race I have done at such a good speed. Most of the club TTs I have raced in are 18km, and my average has been less. I did a 25km one about 6 weeks ago, and my average speed was less than yesterday. So really – this is my best TT so far. So this must be good, right? That’s what I am telling myself.

Did I enjoy the race? Well, despite my disappointment, frustration and anger – yup, I did. I loved it. I enjoyed it more than any other TT I have done, because I know I gave it more than I ever have before.

Trekhawk
10-01-2006, 08:12 AM
Ohhh Mate dont be so hard on yourself. YOU DID GOOD.

Congratulations on a great TT.

You listed all the things you need to work on so next time will be a scorcher.
:)

RoadRaven
10-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Thanks Trek... I am feeling a bit more reasonable today (though still peeved :cool: ).

I have improved, my TT times have progressively got better, I just need to persevere...

On a brighter note, my goal of reaching 3500 kms on the road this year is almost achieved - only got about 500kms left to reach it, and three months to do it... should be very achievable. (This doesn't include the approx 35 hours I have spent on a bike indoors).

Two years back on a bike this month... according to some people I can start considering myself a cyclist after this "milestone" is reached... funny, I thought I already was... :p

kelownagirl
10-05-2006, 06:03 PM
RoadRaven, you should be so proud of yourself! You have the guts to do it in the first place! You were not third out of 4, you were third out of millions who would not and could not even consider doing a TT! And you will improve. You learn something everytime you race. So congrats again and I'm glad to hear you're not so peeved at yourself now. :)

RoadRaven
10-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Thanks so much Kelowna... I like the way you write that... I'm still in the "dissecting and critiquing mode" most of the time at the mo... your post gives me some perspective... :)

Cassandra_Cain
10-06-2006, 01:58 PM
RR - I think a certain amount of critiquing and inquiry is a good thing. Granted there is a point where you can outthink yourself, which isn't so good~ :eek:

18km Dartmoor Road ITT - goal 33 mins (PB thus far, July 2006, 34:38)
18km Dump Block ITT - goal 32 mins (PB thus far, Oct 2005, 37.01)
Club Champs ITT - 20km on Bridge Pa SH2, 30 Sept, goal 33 mins

I take it the club champs ITT is the flater course of the three? Based on it being 2 km longer and you wanting a time of 33 min vs. 33 & 32 for the other two ITT's?

You really have done well, and that is a matter of perspective too I feel....am I 3rd out of 4, or am I just two places from winning??

I don't know that I will ever do TT's in racing - it is a very technical and highly scientific endeavor. Obviously you have pacing, but then you have to weight the entire power vs. aerodynamics question, and all the possible positions you can take. Plus it is a very direct endeavor - you and the clock, no peloton, breakaways, etc.

I admire those that do it and well at that!

RoadRaven
10-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Hi Cassandra, thanks for your thoughts too...

Yes, the Club Champs course from Bridge Pa is almost completely flat - just one little rise really... when I set that time I was being completely overly optimistic, and the week before the race I reset my goal of 33 to being 37 but no more than 39.

My 17yr old son suggested I should be aiming for 40, so I did better than that - YESSS!

So, I did well... I want to be doing great times instantly but reality is reality and I cannot yet afford to resign my job in order to cycle more, and i have only been on a bike for two years now.

And yes, perspective is important, the winner in my grade is a National elite cyclist, so I think to myself, I came second at club level... and if i really want to make myself feel good, I remember that I have beaten Caro in other TTs by up to a minute - so its possible to win this next time...

The out-thinking myself, and the critique is probably a "given" in this house.

My partners time for 20km was 29:20 (average 40.91)
My 17yr son's time for 25km was 36:09 (average 41.49kph)
My 15 yr son's time for 15km was 23:53 (average 37.68kph)

So some competitive discussion and critique and high goals is inevitable...
Really appreciate input - along with Trek and Kelowna it has helped to give some perspective. I don't have any women who adore TTs and compete with me as friends - you gals are it, and I appreciate the female feedback. It is easy to get stuck in the male world of higher times, intensity and testosterone (we are 7 - 5 males/2 females- in this house, 4 cycle competitively, 1 is beginning to, 1 wants to and my daughter, the only other female in this house - yup, I have 4 sons - has no interest in cycling since she broke her wrist a couple of summers ago...)

kelownagirl
10-06-2006, 10:25 PM
So where is middle earth? (dumb question, I know...)

RoadRaven
10-07-2006, 11:00 AM
LOL...

Did you read Tolkien's "The Hobbit" and then the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy?

Set in and around Middle Earth...

Of course, when our very own home grown hobbit, Peter Jackson, decided to realise his dream and make the Lord of the Rings into a film trilogy, where else would he do it but here in Aotearoa New Zealand...???

Hence my location - Middle Earth.

I live 2 hours from the dreaded "Mt Doom" (Taupo) and about 4 hours from the beautiful home of the elves, Rivendell (Kaitoke in Wellington)...

Tri Girl
10-07-2006, 12:20 PM
RR- you should be very proud of your accomplishments on the bike!!! Seems like you are a pretty amazing racer!!!

I'm glad to know where you live, now! I've always wondered, and got the Lord of the Rings reference, but I thought you were just a LotR nut- not that you really lived in Middle Earth! That's surely one of the prettiest places on Earth- you must just love your surroundings!

kelownagirl
10-07-2006, 12:50 PM
That was my guess for those reasons (love Tolkien) but I always wondered if I was right... Ever since seeing the movies, I have been wanting to go to NZ even more than before... Beautiful scenery, actually fairly similar to BC in many ways....

barb

LOL...

Did you read Tolkien's "The Hobbit" and then the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy?

Set in and around Middle Earth...

Of course, when our very own home grown hobbit, Peter Jackson, decided to realise his dream and make the Lord of the Rings into a film trilogy, where else would he do it but here in Aotearoa New Zealand...???

Hence my location - Middle Earth.

I live 2 hours from the dreaded "Mt Doom" (Taupo) and about 4 hours from the beautiful home of the elves, Rivendell (Kaitoke in Wellington)...

Cassandra_Cain
10-07-2006, 05:52 PM
RR - oh my, Mount Doom she says!!! I'll stick to the Shire thanks so much :D

So seriously, I look at your results as being basically the same as Caro - I mean 3 seconds is a sip of your bidon. It could easily have gone either way, and as you mentioned the car slowing was a factor.

I think getting passed early in a TT like that though has to knock you off your rhythm and mental focus. You said you expected it but it happened earlier than you figured. IMO, it takes immense mental concentration to stay totally committed to your own pace in such a case.

In your household, well with that much Testosterone (you did say 5 males/boys right?!), I'd think competition is basically unavoidable, but perspective helps. If I read correctly, your PB from July was over 40 minutes, and here you took over a minute out of that. Plus you m entioned a goal of 37 but no more than 39....you are really in the ballpark...to knock that 1 min 56 seconds, I would think is just a few watts, you can do it.:)

Can you share some of your training techniques and such? I'd enjoy hearing about it from someone who is an accomplished TT'er.

SheFly
10-09-2006, 06:20 AM
Hi RR! It's been awhile.

Congrats on your Club Championship TT. I think that is an awesome result, and that you should be proud of your accomplishment.

A couple of observations:

1. Use your emotion to your advanatage. When someone passes you in the TT, use that as incentive to go that much harder instead of becoming deflated. This is easier said than done, and especially when it is your partner/DH passing you.

2. The 3 seconds that you lost to Cara are EASILY accounted for in having to slow for the car in the turnaround - sadly there is nothing you could have done differently there.

3. You spent a lot of time thinking about this race prior to it happening. You need to focus on positive thinking and less analysis prior to the race. If you think this will be your best TT effort, you will be amazed at how that translates into your results.

4. Don't over-think what went right/wrong. Your report sums up the most important part of this race - you had FUN! When racing of any sort stops being fun, I will stop racing.

The training and power of a TT are important aspects, but the mental game is equally important. When DH and I went out to re-take our tandem record at the end of the season, we had all the power and training down. Our mental game was off though due to a flat in our warmup, having to hitch a ride back to the start, repair the flat, and then take off. We missed our goal, but I KNOW that we will get it back early next year.

When I am on my TT bike, all else is irrelevant. Me, my position, my power, my bike and the road are all that matters. If someone passes me, I try to increase my output, but still remember that I can only do what I can. When I download my effort (HR) onto my PC, I know that I put in everything I had, and didn't leave anything on the table.

You did this too - I can tell from your report. Don't be so hard on yourself! Revel in your accomplishments, and set your goals accordingly for next season.

Congrats - you deserve it.

SheFly

RoadRaven
12-30-2006, 11:53 PM
Cassandra, you wrote “Can you share some of your training techniques and such? I'd enjoy hearing about it from someone who is an accomplished TT'er.”

Well…. Thank you for the compliment Cassandra, I don’t really think of myself as an accomplished TTer – yet… I’m more of a rabid wannabe!!!

I have thought about your question, and have started a thread in the Tips and Tricks forum for TT ideas and suggestions… That way the TE TTers can pool ideas and experiences specifically about what we do or have tried that works or doesn’t work…

See here:
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=12489

SheFly! Sorry I haven’t been back in this thread for a while! I have read your response quite a few times but just not posted!
Thanks for the well-considered, constructive feedback. You are right about over-thinking, but I like to time trial so much I think it is prolly inevitable!
You write: “When I am on my TT bike, all else is irrelevant. Me, my position, my power, my bike and the road are all that matters.”
Yes, this is how I am… but unlike you, I don’t try to increase my power output if I am passed. The key for me is not to get thrown out of my rhythm or blow my heart rate when passed.
It is so much about headspace, isn’t it?

Trust you have enjoyed the TTs in 2006 and are looking forward (as I am) to next year’s racing. c

RoadRaven
12-30-2006, 11:59 PM
Well, it’s 10pm on 31st December here… nearly 2007…

A summary of my second full year of cycling then, and goals aimed for, sometimes reached…

I wanted 3500km on the road this year (up on my 2533km in 2005, and 267km in 2004).
I have achieved just over 4000km on the road for 2006 (with another 1000km on the indoor trainer).

Tremain's Cooporate Triathalon, cycling section 17km, inside 35min (achieved, March 2006, 32.52min)

Competitive in G Grade by Winter Series (achieved, won the series yellow jersey)

Move to F for the Spring Series (achieved)

Competitive in F in Summer Series (nope, not yet… a loooong way to go!)

18km Dartmoor Road ITT - goal 33 mins (nope… July was my best effort at 34:38 minutes, averaging 30.72kph)

18km Dump Block ITT - goal 32 mins (not achieved, each time I attempted weather conditions deteriorated)

Club Champs 20km ITT – (I only averaged 30.82kph and was very disappointed as described earlier in this thread)

100km ride - Metric Century – (YES! Just… did this on Friday 29th December with my partner and eldest son… in 4 hours and 6 minutes – I was hoping for an average of 25kph, and snuck in just under that with 24.64kph, not too bad for my first metric tonne!)

So, goals and resolutions for 2007…Well, I guess in terms of cycling this is easy, because one just builds on the lessons and experiences of the previous year.

EVENTS:
JANUARY: Tour de Beautiful 50km road race: 1 hour 45 minutes
MARCH: Tremain’s Triathalon, 20km cycling section: 32 minutes (absolutely flat course)
SEPTEMBER: Club Champs ITT: 33 minutes (some false flats and small rises)
OCTOBER: Tour of the Bay 50km road race: 1 hour 40 minutes
OCTOBER: National RR Champs, 20km ITT – to enter for the experience if I think I won’t embarrass the club!!!

CLUB RACING: (Most Saturdays at 2pm…)Not always get dropped by F grade by Autumn Series
Competitive in F grade by Spring Series
Move to E grade by Summer Series
Dartmoor ITT: 32.30 minutes
Dump Block ITT: 32 minutes

“OTHER”:
160km ride (Imperial Ton)
Tiropai (a short sharp 300 metre climb between 8-10&#37;) – 2:45 minutes
Dartmoor Hill (a steady climb just over 1km at about 5%) – 4:30 minutes

We’ll see how I go, I guess… Have a super and safe lead into the New Year and I trust that 2007 brings you all happiness and success in cycling, and all other parts of your lives.

BikeMomma
12-31-2006, 11:02 PM
Hey RR --

I'd say you had a successful year! Congrats on achieving at least some of your goals. Awesome. :)

Happy '07!!!

~BikeMomma

SheFly
01-01-2007, 02:31 PM

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"] SheFly! Sorry I haven’t been back in this thread for a while! I have read your response quite a few times but just not posted!
Thanks for the well-considered, constructive feedback. You are right about over-thinking, but I like to time trial so much I think it is prolly inevitable!
You write: “When I am on my TT bike, all else is irrelevant. Me, my position, my power, my bike and the road are all that matters.”
Yes, this is how I am… but unlike you, I don’t try to increase my power output if I am passed. The key for me is not to get thrown out of my rhythm or blow my heart rate when passed.
It is so much about headspace, isn’t it?

Trust you have enjoyed the TTs in 2006 and are looking forward (as I am) to next year’s racing. c

I think that the TT effort is equal parts power and "headspace". Sounds like you have some great goals for the coming year, too!

DH and I have our sights set on the club course record on our tandem this year - sub 20 min for 9.75 miles :eek: ! I'll keep you posted. Personally, I'd like to set another PR on the course as well. My best time last year was 24:32, and I'd LIKE to get that down below 24:00. I think it may be a stretch goal, but we'll see!

My other goal for the season is to upgrade my 'cross category and to be competitive (aka, not last) in the Elite Women's category.

Good luck on your goals, and Happy New Year to you as well!

SheFly

RoadRaven
01-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks Shefly... I like your maths... power + headspace = attaining goals

OK... this forum... Well... this is supposed to be race reports, right?

Here's my first experience of a team time trial...

The idea in a team TT is that you start with the whole team, but only some of the team have to make it to the finish line. The team starts together - the idea is you get an effective paceline going and time trial the whole course but together.

Ramblers ran its second "5-up TT" a few weeks back and it was the first time I participated in one (the first 5-upTT cooincided with my 'worst' period day... cramps no good when you have others relying on your absolute effort). In a 5 person team, you can lose one person along the way - your final time is the time of the fourth person over the line. You might lose a person because they can't keep up, or they blow their legs or they have a mechanical failure - like a flat tyre.

This effectively means you MUST work as a team in order to get the best time. If you have a disparity in ability within your team, then it should become the responsibility of the strongest 1-2 people to stay with the others and do the bulk of the work on the front, in this way the best time for the team will be achieved.

Unfortunately not everyone in my team understood this... hence my delay in posting a race report... I was very disappointed in the event, although very pleased for the experience.

The course we had had two good hills in it (not ideal for a TT) and I warned the team they would likely lose me on the first hill, but I would work hard all the way out to it and help them get the best time to the first hill that I could.

So, the first hill arrives but we have already lost one person as she is not as strong on the flats as us, so now I really feel the pressure - I will be the fourth person across the line and my time will be the team's time - right? Well, maybe, if we had worked as a TEAM!

Only one of the team stayed with me as I struggled up the hill, and he pullled and pulled me trying to get me back to the front two members who gradually pulled away from us and seemed to be riding their own race.

I had completely blown my legs on the first hill playing "ketchup", and had only really recovered when it was time for the second hill. Bugger!

The girl we dropped before the first hill had managed to catch us as she is much more capable on the hills and I yelled at her to stay with Peter and I would see her at the finish line. I gratefully dropped my pace a fraction and spun some lactic acid out of my legs, before lifting my pace again and riding the remainder as an ITT.

At the end, I apologised to the guy who stayed with me and told him I would be working on my hill climbing. I also acknowledged the huge ammount of work he had done and credited him with the time we managed to get. If the other two had come back/waited for us and helped him to pull the fourth rider to the finish line, our time would have been loads better. I couldn't find the girl who ended up being fourth across the line, I haven't seen her at subsequent races.

I did not talk to the other two members of the team - I was toooooo angry with them. I know it is probably just a matter of people not understanding how a TTT works, but on the day I was just mad and the best thing was to just walk away.

RoadRaven
01-14-2007, 02:58 PM
Well… my first “event” that is in my goal list is done and crossed off.
Tour de Beautiful…

The biggest lesson for me?
Never set a time-goal for yourself on an unknown course. This only sets you up for disappointment.

From the way people had described the course, I thought it was similar to another 50km course I have raced over. I had based a time for myself according to a flatter course with favourable winds.

So, my goals
– to complete the 50km race – achieved…
- to do it in a time of 1:45… nope. My time was 2:04:58.

It was a good little race – my sons entered also. My eldest won prize money in the 100km classic with 5th place. The son won who rode in the 50km came 4th. My two youngest rode in the 10km and got 2nd and 18th placings.

It was a hilly 50kms, no real flats anywhere, and although I could go down some of the hills at 60-65kph, coming back up was a mission at 10-12kph into a head wind.

Yup, the wind rose as the time went by. On the way out, some tail wind and lots of cross gusts. But at the turn-around the occasional tail winds transmogrified into nasty, strong head and side gusts.

The race itself? I got dropped after 6kms, so effectively rode the remaining 44kms on my own, hitching a lift with a few groups of riders for maybe a total of 1km before another hill meant I was dropped again.

So… a curious mix of satisfaction and dissatisfaction. I was pleased to race it – and when I look at my normal hill times, I rode it strongly for me. Disappointing not to get my goal time, but good learning in-as-far as knowing your course before setting goals.

Disappointing that although I could stay with the leading bunches on the flats I could not stay with them on the climbs. Disappointing that when I found people I could climb with, I would drop them on the flats. Disappointing I had no-one to help me on the 80 minutes beat back into the wind (it took me only 50mins to get to the turn-around).

Good learning again though. Most of my training/riding is based on consistent speeds, and on raising my consistent speeds. I need to increase my hill repetitions and practicing “surging” on hills as well as on flats. I need to increase the amount of interval training I do.

My main overall cycling goal is to time trial well, however, the reality is that most of the racing I do is road racing over semi-hilly or hilly courses. I need to be able to surge with the pack, to chase down breaks and attacks and to not get dropped on hills. So, there you have my aim for my training in the next couple of months. Its gonna be tough, but I need lots of practice

btchance
01-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Just got a chance to read about your TTT. Too bad the other 2 people didn't stay with the rest of the team. Hopefully next time it'll be better.

Good job on doing the road race. I'm still way too nervous to even think about that. Oh, and I understand completely about having a hard time staying with a group of people. There's such a variation in speed. Glad you found things to work on, next time you'll do even better. Oh, and congrats for your sons. They did awesome also!

RoadRaven
01-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks for respondig BT
Yup, lots of lessons for me in these last two races...
(mutter mutter team time trial mutter mutter)

Most of the club racing I do was about 20km long, and since I have moved up a grade they are now 30-35km long, so the Road Race on Sunday was only my second 50km race. And although it is marketed as a "fun ride" alot (LOL, like me) are there to compete.

Just step in and have go, BT - do you have someone you can race with?
Our local club is awesome with a beginning grade (G) for all levels and abilities to have a go and see how they feel.

We have now instigated having a more experienced rider ride down a few grades with G-graders and the race is controlled to the half way point and the beginners practice pace-lining, changing gears for hills etc and race from the half-way point.

RoadRaven
01-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Yup
Race today
38km race - 3 laps of a relatively flat course
I thought, tough grade, I have just moved up, first time I raced with them they dropped me on the first hill, second time I wanted to stay with them through the corners and be with them on the first straight til the grade hit a hill again... both times, no luck.

This time, with loads of specific training behind me and trying to be smart and and cater to what this grade does I think - I'll just hang on til the first lap is done and if I last the next two, it'll be a bonus.

Nope... I suck... 5kms into the 12.5km lap I am gone.
My darling partner keeps reassuring me that I am good at it, that I am improving, and if I want to get better I just need to keep working at it.

But we got home and I cracked a Zero and went and cried quietly on the deck outside. I felt such despair. I really thought I was better than I did today - I averaged nearly 31kph for the lap I did, but I just can't stay with the pack.

I really want to come to this thread and write about a thrilling race I am pleased with, not sulk to the world. but its so hard when I hear hubby and older son disecting their race of 43km average and my 16 year describing his which had a 40km average - and they all did FOUR laps!

*tucks head down near her wings and wanders away to another thread...*

BikeMomma
01-27-2007, 11:21 PM
One thing's for sure....you do NOT suck!

I think you're more than awesome for just being out there doing it, ya know? I say be proud of what you CAN do, not down and dejected for what you can't. Your dh and son no doubt are proud of you for being who you are and going out there and trying your durnest. Be proud of that, too.

My attitude is, ultimately, racing is for fun, and it should always be so. If you're not doing well, forget the competition with others and all the comparisons that come with it. Turn it around into something positive -- compete against yourself. When I fall off the back in a crit and know I won't be able to bridge back up, I say "change of game plan" and just change the game to not getting lapped, or something stupid like that. Or I think about that lady on the far corner cheering away every time I go by, and I speed up to make her cheers worth it.

Definitely Raven, you're awesome. Call it another day completed and another experience to keep in the memory banks.

Chin up, girl. You'll have lots of other chances to show 'em your stuff. :D
Hugs,
~BikeMomma

RoadRaven
01-28-2007, 08:49 AM
Thanks BM
My partner read my post last night. Hadn't realised how gutted I was.
And he has always said the same thing to me you have just written - racing should be fun.
Yestersday morning, I actually thought about coming and editing the self-pity out of my post, because it isn't really helpful.

I think I was just in some kind've shock after the Saturday race at how I felt. I have been disappointed at my results before, but never felt despair. And over a bike race? Crazy! But we had so many in the house I really couldn't talk it through comfortably with anyone. I just wasn't expecting the intensity of the emotion - and over a club race... and I didn't understand myself.

Next week, my game plan is changing. I will stay with them as long as I can and do no work at all (one mistake on Saturday was I tried to shut down a break! Stupid! Not when this is only my third club race with this grade! Sometimes you make silly calls and that was one).
So next week I sit in, hang on and if I don't enjoy it, I will ride back down a grade for the rest of the summer series. My partner suggested riding down a grade for a while - and it is such a good idea, because I have had very few races since October... I need to get race practice in again.

So thankyou for your words, BM, they are perfect... and my perspective is a bit more rational now... and I'm biking to and from work today...

Major lesson reminder for me... after a hard ride, you MUST go for a spin the following day. I just wasn't interested in hoping on the bike yesterday, but this morning my legs hurt sooooo much.

So I'm off to spin gently to work, a nice hours ride as the sun rises... thats what its about. I love riding on empty roads.

Trekhawk
01-28-2007, 09:03 AM
Thanks BM
My partner read my post last night. Hadn't realised how gutted I was.
And he has always said the same thing to me you have just written - racing should be fun.
Yestersday morning, I actually thought about coming and editing the self-pity out of my post, because it isn't really helpful.

I think I was just in some kind've shock after the Saturday race at how I felt. I have been disappointed at my results before, but never felt despair. And over a bike race? Crazy! But we had so many in the house I really couldn't talk it through comfortably with anyone. I just wasn't expecting the intensity of the emotion - and over a club race... and I didn't understand myself.

Next week, my game plan is changing. I will stay with them as long as I can and do no work at all (one mistake on Saturday was I tried to shut down a break! Stupid! Not when this is only my third club race with this grade! Sometimes you make silly calls and that was one).
So next week I sit in, hang on and if I don't enjoy it, I will ride back down a grade for the rest of the summer series. My partner suggested riding down a grade for a while - and it is such a good idea, because I have had very few races since October... I need to get race practice in again.

So thankyou for your words, BM, they are perfect... and my perspective is a bit more rational now... and I'm biking to and from work today...

Major lesson reminder for me... after a hard ride, you MUST go for a spin the following day. I just wasn't interested in hoping on the bike yesterday, but this morning my legs hurt sooooo much.

So I'm off to spin gently to work, a nice hours ride as the sun rises... thats what its about. I love riding on empty roads.

Mate pleased to hear you are feeling positive again. BM gave great advice and as you said so did your husband, listen to them they are right.

I cant imagine racing or even getting to the sort of speed you do. I think you racing girls are made of pure grit with huge hearts. Keep posting so this little plodder can race vicariously through you.

BikeMomma
01-28-2007, 06:11 PM
I have been disappointed at my results before, but never felt despair. And over a bike race? Crazy! But we had so many in the house I really couldn't talk it through comfortably with anyone. I just wasn't expecting the intensity of the emotion - and over a club race... and I didn't understand myself.

Next week, my game plan is changing. I will stay with them as long as I can and do no work at all (one mistake on Saturday was I tried to shut down a break! ......... So next week I sit in, hang on and if I don't enjoy it, I will ride back down a grade for the rest of the summer series.

The intensity of the emotion and the despair you felt just show how much your heart is in this sport, and there's nothing wrong with that. ;)

Sounds like a great game plan. :cool:

Hope your gentle spin was as nice as it sounds. :)
~BikeMomma

BikeMomma
01-28-2007, 06:13 PM
I think you racing girls are made of pure grit with huge hearts.
Naaaa....just stubborn. Ask my husband. :p

Geonz
01-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Okay, I tried a post but it came out totally wrong...so... waht they said already :)
... and take a look at your signature !

Here's hoping the raging emotions can be channeled to good things.

RoadRaven
01-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Trek, BM and Geonz

Thanks for your words...

Yes, yesterdays ride to work was lovely, the sun was still nesteled in the clouds and the temp was a mild 18'
The ride home a bit tougher, head wind all the way - about 15kph at full speed! - my partner came and collected me before the final few hills which was a welcome surprise.

Am all geared up for having another go in the road race this Saturday... having another go is what its about really.
Looking on the website and final times, my grade (F) was actually faster than E - so maybe it was just an extra fast day for the F graders and therefore my bad luck. (But there was a bright side, being finished and relatively fresh meant I was able to assist after a crash in another grade's sprint finish and hold the guy's elbow/arm clear of the road til the ambulance arrived and staunch some of the blood loss)
http://www.ramblers.co.nz/club_results/detail.asp?id=324

And am looking forward to the ITT on Thursday next week - I'll be one of the slower times there as only the really keen TTers tend to emerge on the Thursday nights. But the very cool thing about TTs is its about personal bests and giving yourself a thrashing! So am hoping to best my PB that day - raging emotions will def be put to good use there, Geonz! :p

Feeling brighter and much more enthusiastic
~Rave~

SheFly
01-30-2007, 06:13 AM
Hey you! Just coming back to this thread, and troubled by you thinking that you SUCK. Now, repeat after me: "I DO NOT SUCK". Now go write that 100 times...

Seriously, Raven, think of all you have accomplished in the past year - none of that shows that "you suck". I agree with BM - if you are not having fun with the racing, you need to take a step back and consider what you are doing and what your motivation is. Trust me when I tell you that I KNOW what it is like to feel so discouraged after a race that you question what you are doing, but you learn from it and move on.

I also agree with BM's on-the-fly strategy changes. It is "easy" to come up with a pre-race strategy, but lots of different things can happen during the race to require a chang ein strategy or goal. I remember my very first TT - my goal was NOT to get passed by a woman who started a few places behind me (and was a Cat 2 racer). When she did pass me, I changed my goal to not let her out of my sight (which worked!).

Remember this: you are out there racing when scores of other women are not; you gave it your all; you had fun (I hope).

Good luck at the TT this week and at the race this weekend. Above all else, have FUN!

SheFly

RoadRaven
02-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Well... about time to get back in here and 'fess up... last Thursday was the last TT of the Summer Racing Series for our club, and I did go...

I have been waiting on everyone's times being published, but the full and "official" results are not up yet. So I do not know how I went in relation to the other 25-30 people there (although a significant number starting behind me did pass me!!)

HOWEVER... I did shave one and a half minutes off my PB (set in October 2005) for this course (the Dump Block). Its in my 2007 goals to do it in 32 minutes, and I did it in about 35 I think.
3 more minutes is probably unrealistic to shave off this new PB by the end of the year... but I'll see how much closer I can get!

As for the road race on the Saturday before that? Well, I did get dropped, but I stayed with the tail enders of my grade and wasn't the last one home - that has to be an improvement right?

I didn't race this last Saturday as I had a root canal on Friday and my head still felt a bit strange. Last road race for the summer series this Saturday - its hilly, and I think I will be riding much of it on my own... but thats ok - I'll treat it as a training ride and see if I can do a PB over it.

:D

SheFly
02-12-2007, 04:34 AM
Congrats on the TT result! A full minute and a half is an excellent improvement and achievement - I think it must have been those new shifters ;) .

Also, good job on the RR. Remember - you went, you raced, you didn't finish last, and YOU HAD FUN! Keep that in mind this coming Saturday as well.

I did a really hilly RR this past summer, and got shelled out of the main pack at about mile 5 of 30. I worked on my own for quite awhile, resorting to full on TT mode to try and bridge any gap. As it turned out, a small group behind me was working well together, and caught me. Four of us ended up finishing the race together by using a double-rotating paceline. We had a great race, and worked really well together, even though none of us were teammates! I wish you a similarly good experience on Saturday!

Congrats again - be proud of your accomplishments!

SheFly

Trekhawk
02-12-2007, 07:47 AM
HOWEVER... I did shave one and a half minutes off my PB (set in October 2005) for this course (the Dump Block). Its in my 2007 goals to do it in 32 minutes, and I did it in about 35 I think.
3 more minutes is probably unrealistic to shave off this new PB by the end of the year... but I'll see how much closer I can get!

As for the road race on the Saturday before that? Well, I did get dropped, but I stayed with the tail enders of my grade and wasn't the last one home - that has to be an improvement right?

I didn't race this last Saturday as I had a root canal on Friday and my head still felt a bit strange. Last road race for the summer series this Saturday - its hilly, and I think I will be riding much of it on my own... but thats ok - I'll treat it as a training ride and see if I can do a PB over it.

Congratulations and good luck for Saturday.:)

RoadRaven
03-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Hey there Shefly and Trek - belated thanks for your words and support

Well, I am still trying to find my place in the new grade... I finish and people ask me how it was and I answer with cautious enthusiasm (for example... "well, last time I was dropped completely and came in last, but today I was NOT completely dropped and was 4th to last - gotta be improving, right?")

So anyway, I raced on Saturday, although I only did two thirds of it (it was a 3 lap course) as I waited with a guy who had crashed until he was collected... his group had called the SAG wagon and then left him, but when my grade went by and I called out he was disoriented and so I stopped and pleased I did - his helmet was mushed in on one side and the marshall that arrived took him to hospital for concussion.

So the Saturday race was not so intense as it may have been - which is just as well because on Sunday it was the Tremain's Coorporate Triathalon. I had set a goal at the end of last year of 34 minutes for the 20km (which would have been a 32.5average), however, the course was changed and we had an almost gale-force westerly on the way out (head wind) and on the return leg a southerly squall blew through, negating what should have been a tail wind (when I got back the ocean was as falt as a mill-pond despite them not allowing the kayakers to go out in the first section, and halving the distance the swimmers had because the wind was so dreadful!). So with the wind working against me, and the course change, I managed and average speed of 31.kph... which I was annoyed with on the day, but retrospectively it was a good time.

I have the last TT of the season this Saturday and am hoping to perform well. I know the road well, and have done one TT on this course before. I took 38.56 mins - 30.83 average.

If we have ideal conditions this Saturday, I will be aiming for 35 1/2 minutes which is an average of 33.8, but will be satisfied if my average is anything over 32kph. Here's hoping...

RoadRaven
03-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Well... I am thrilled and gutted at the same time...

It was a tough day, tough conditions... nasty head and cross winds out and back.

It was a tough day... I started behind my 13 year old son with the goal of doing a better time than him, or close to his time... it was my last chance to "beat" him.

It was a tough day... my partner was too sick to race himself, let alone be my support crew... it would have been good to have him there.

It was a tough day... the marshalls measured .8 of a kilometre too much - significant when you pace yourself in a TT.

However, my head was in a good space. I did a 20kmTT of sorts the previous weekend, I had done a very good time despite outrageous gale-force winds - I knew I was in good racing form.

The outward leg was tough... cross head wind most of the way and my speedo hovered between 29- and 32... I just wanted to keep it up to 32 if I could, I would have a tail wind home... right?

Two men passed me on way out... bugger... and slowly my son opened the gap... no worries, a tail wind behind me on the way back will ensure I made up those vital seconds i was losing...

Wrong, wind shift and cross winds and some head wind on the way back too. I was able to lift my speed to 34-35 at times, but I have no endurance yet to maintain it and the slight undulations became hills which dropped me back to 28-29kph.

I didn't see my son again, but I did manage to up my rythym and catch the two guys who had passed me earlier - a huge mental advantage in a TT.

So I get back, worn out and once off the bike doing the funny walk that only a good buttock and thigh workout - combined with slightly numb girly bits) gives you.

The official results were posted on the web yesterday. My son's time was faster than me by 48seconds... I am wrapped for him.

I did a PB on that course - last time over 20km I managed a 30kph average... this time over 25.8km I managed 31.48 average (in tougher conditions).

However, the woman I beat in the last TT by over 30 seconds, had a better time than me by 1min45secs... so thats where I was gutted. We have both been improving, but she has improved more...

I know, I know, TTs are about you and the clock... but we do tend to peek and compare others times and although she did less than a km faster than me... it gives me a goal.

I am heading into the tough zone of racing now though. To lift one's speed from 32kph to 40kph requires TWICE the power output... realistically, because of my age and gender, I will be lucky to get to 35-36kph... but that must be some 60-70% more effort in terms of increasing my power. Two-three years to do this I guess???

Ah well... gotta have a goal, huh?

Trekhawk
03-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Congratulations Raven on a great ride. You are wayyyyyy too hard on yourself. Your training is obviously paying off so you should be proud.

Trekhawk wandering off to dream about riding that fast.:)

RoadRaven
03-27-2007, 10:20 AM
LOL my feathered friend, thats what my partner says too :p

But Ms T. Hawk, I am pleased with the ride... I just know I have to keep working at it, just need to accept it takes time (and I have to keep reminding myself that this is the first time in my life that I have been fit to any extent... so I have already come a long way)

Talk to one of my sons last night (who is good at calculating stuff) and he reckons that to go from a 31kph average to a 33kph is a 20&#37; increase in power output. Now that isn't too difficult... my problem (upon further analysis :rolleyes: ) is that I can't keep it up for the 20-25km distance/35-45mins. So, endurance it is... look out buttocks, I'll be putting in MORE miles than usual!

Thanks for your kind words.

RoadRaven
05-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Well, I have hardly been on a bike for nearly two months... and hardly any racing in that... mostly just indoors/spin for 30-45 minutes just to try and keep losing weight. Its very frustrating and I know I will get back on the road but I also know that some of my 2007 goals have become unrealistic.

So I am rewriting them from page 2 of this thread to make them more achievable (goals must be SMART - and the R stands for Realistic)

EVENTS:
SEPTEMBER: Club Champs ITT: 33 mins 30 secs (some false flats and small rises)
OCTOBER: Tour of the Bay 50km road race: 1 hour 42 minutes

CLUB RACING: (Most Saturdays at 2pm…)
Not always get dropped by F grade by Spring Series
Competitive in F grade by Summer Series
(I have been placed 5th in an ITT in this grade, but have yet to finish in the top ten in a road race)
Dartmoor ITT: 33 minutes 30 seconds
Dump Block ITT: 34 minutes

“OTHER”:
160km ride (Imperial Ton)
Tiropai (a short sharp 300 metre climb between 8-10&#37;) – 2:50 minutes
Dartmoor Hill (a steady climb just over 1km at about 5%) – 4:45 minutes

RoadRaven
06-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Just want to add one more challenge for myself...

I want to ride every race this winter series.
I rode few over the Spring, I rode more, but not all over Summer, the Autumn series saw me ride virtually none.
This series, Winter, I am riding the lot :D ...starting today... here's the schedule for my grade;

2June, Tuki Circuit 33km (some hills)
9June, CampDavidRTN, 39km (hilly)
16June, Whanawhana/Otamauri, 30km (some hills)
23June, Womens only 43km race (flat)
30June, Raukawa ITT, 25km (flat well, two small hills, but mostly flat)

7July, OhitiRd circuit, 29km (some hills)
14July, Apley circuit,26km (hilly)
21July, Dudley Hawkes Memorial handicap, 30km (hilly)
28July, MutinyRd 5upTeamTT, 39km (some hills)

4Aug, KahuranakiRTN, 36km (hilly)
11Aug, Apley circuit,26km (hilly)
18Aug, Raukawa/Valley circuit, 33km (some hills)
25Aug, Swamp/Pukehaumoamoa, 26km (flat)

Hopefully this post will help to hold me accountable...

RoadRaven
06-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Well... first race of the Winter Series behind me...

Unfortunately not a good time, but that was not of my making, and I did finish.

I had never raced (or even ridden) this circuit before. I am looking forward to racing there in Spring - it is beside a river, with dramatic hill-scapes rising from the river and road. It will be stunning all dressed in new greens and the spring sky reflected in the water.

Anyways, we began, and I quickly found myself at the front and no-one else coming through - so about 3 of us kept up what I thought was a comfortable pace of 32-33km along the flats... but we were spiltting the bunch already which surprised me. And that felt good. I felt good even though I was not anticipating the hills that we were approaching.

Someone called out crash, and I yelled out; "did they have a cell phone?", and no-one knew, so I peeled off the front and went back. Glad I did. A girl there for the first time had her cell phone, but not the marshalls ICE number. She was ringing her dad. I rang the marshalls to let them know we had two Ramblers down and then stayed with them while the two others who had stopped with the 2 injured women headed off again.

Dad arrived, picked up his daughter, and by the time the marshall arrived, the other woman was feeling well enough to tape her cuts up and finish the ride - which we did together. It was great to ride at a steady pace and get to know her. Her chain locked up at one point, so we slowed, stopped and sorted that. She hadn't been along to ride for a while and was getting her confidence back, so I am glad I stopped.

The ride back itself was great, she flew up the hills and I flew down them and we'd join up again on the other side. She was great company, and although we were no longer in race mode, we rode well and steady and I wish we lived closer so we could do some training rides together.

We ended up with a time of 1:18:15 for the 32kms. So only a 24.54km average. So it was a great training ride and of course, since it was my first time on the course, I can legitimately claim a PB!!! :p

Family and I are off to do a gentle recovery ride soon (partner got about 7th in his grade yesterday, 16yr old got 4th in his, and 13 year old riding up in new grade came in 3rd). Tomorrow (its a public holiday - YAY) I will ride the "Apley circuitt" as if a race so I am well prepared for July 14th.

Trekhawk
06-02-2007, 01:50 PM
Well... first race of the Winter Series behind me...

Unfortunately not a good time, but that was not of my making, and I did finish.

I had never raced (or even ridden) this circuit before. I am looking forward to racing there in Spring - it is beside a river, with dramatic hill-scapes rising from the river and road. It will be stunning all dressed in new greens and the spring sky reflected in the water.

Anyways, we began, and I quickly found myself at the front and no-one else coming through - so about 3 of us kept up what I thought was a comfortable pace of 32-33km along the flats... but we were spiltting the bunch already which surprised me. And that felt good. I felt good even though I was not anticipating the hills that we were approaching.

Someone called out crash, and I yelled out; "did they have a cell phone?", and no-one knew, so I peeled off the front and went back. Glad I did. A girl there for the first time had her cell phone, but not the marshalls ICE number. She was ringing her dad. I rang the marshalls to let them know we had two Ramblers down and then stayed with them while the two others who had stopped with the 2 injured women headed off again.

Dad arrived, picked up his daughter, and by the time the marshall arrived, the other woman was feeling well enough to tape her cuts up and finish the ride - which we did together. It was great to ride at a steady pace and get to know her. Her chain locked up at one point, so we slowed, stopped and sorted that. She hadn't been along to ride for a while and was getting her confidence back, so I am glad I stopped.

The ride back itself was great, she flew up the hills and I flew down them and we'd join up again on the other side. She was great company, and although we were no longer in race mode, we rode well and steady and I wish we lived closer so we could do some training rides together.

We ended up with a time of 1:18:15 for the 32kms. So only a 24.54km average. So it was a great training ride and of course, since it was my first time on the course, I can legitimately claim a PB!!! :p

Family and I are off to do a gentle recovery ride soon (partner got about 7th in his grade yesterday, 16yr old got 4th in his, and 13 year old riding up in new grade came in 3rd). Tomorrow (its a public holiday - YAY) I will ride the "Apley circuitt" as if a race so I am well prepared for July 14th.

Wow Raven, sounds like you had an interesting day. Im sure your new friend was pleased to have your great support for the rest of the ride.
Well done.:)

RoadRaven
06-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks, my Hawk-feathered friend
It was an interesting day.
There were three other crashes (that I know of) yesterday - one needed ambulance attendance.
And yes, great to have a new cycling friend, and hopefully, if we can work it, and occasional training buddy.

RoadRaven
06-09-2007, 12:06 AM
Well... I am knackered (she says graciously) and restless.

I rode hard today, the race was a 39km out and return course over rolling hills and in gusty, very strong winds.

We started well, 32-34kph paceline, rotating the lead and I was feeling alright - just doing very short moments in front.

But at 8kms out, the pace cracked on, and we were up over 36 and I could only maintain that for 2kms before my legs went lactic. So I drop rapidly off the back as my legs decide to ignore what I am telling them to do and tootle along between 12-17kph for the next 3kms trying to disperse the lactic acid.

Suddenly, my legs remember that we are racing and they start to respond to me, so I shelve ideas of turning back and continue on. I knew I would have to do this on my own, only two other women had been dropped before I had been.

It was a battle, but I put myself into time-trial mode at the turn-around/half-way point. My average at the half-way was below 25kph, and by the finish line I had lifted it to nearly 29kph.

I feel absolutely exhausted - I have Pursuiters Cough (and a headache now from the coughing!), and despite a nice soak in the bath I am still walking 'funny'. This tells me I gave it everything I had.

I feel very satisfied despite the comprehensive caning from my grade, because usually they drop me after about 5-6kms... I hung on twice as long.

I am anticipating next week despite the hills...

Trekhawk
06-09-2007, 09:25 AM
Well... I am knackered (she says graciously) and restless.

I rode hard today, the race was a 39km out and return course over rolling hills and in gusty, very strong winds.

We started well, 32-34kph paceline, rotating the lead and I was feeling alright - just doing very short moments in front.

But at 8kms out, the pace cracked on, and we were up over 36 and I could only maintain that for 2kms before my legs went lactic. So I drop rapidly off the back as my legs decide to ignore what I am telling them to do and tootle along between 12-17kph for the next 3kms trying to disperse the lactic acid.

Suddenly, my legs remember that we are racing and they start to respond to me, so I shelve ideas of turning back and continue on. I knew I would have to do this on my own, only two other women had been dropped before I had been.

It was a battle, but I put myself into time-trial mode at the turn-around/half-way point. My average at the half-way was below 25kph, and by the finish line I had lifted it to nearly 29kph.

I feel absolutely exhausted - I have Pursuiters Cough (and a headache now from the coughing!), and despite a nice soak in the bath I am still walking 'funny'. This tells me I gave it everything I had.

I feel very satisfied despite the comprehensive caning from my grade, because usually they drop me after about 5-6kms... I hung on twice as long.

I am anticipating next week despite the hills...

WOOHOO - well done Raven. I feel a little worn out just reading this.:D

Good luck on your next race. I will be heading off next weekend for three weeks holiday so I will have to wait until I return to hear how it all went.

RoadRaven
06-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks, Hawk - body is feeling a bit better this morning - I slept from 10pm til 5am without waking - I very rarely can sleep THAT long - and then I went back to sleep til 6:30!!!

Have a fab hol... are you able to bike there? Will it be waaaarm?

Enjoy your break

Trekhawk
06-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks, Trek - body is feeling a bit better this morning - I slept from 10pm til 5am without waking - I very rarely can sleep THAT long - and then I went back to sleep til 6:30!!!

Have a fab hol... are you able to bike there? Will it be waaaarm?

Enjoy your break

No room for the bike Im afraid with 5 bodies and all our cr*p. Its a road trip so we will be doing lots of miles (just not on the bike:( ). It is Summer here now so yes it will be warm/hot.

RoadRaven
06-15-2007, 09:21 PM
I last rode this very hilly course on March 10, a sunny autumn day... I was spectacularly dropped that day but was very pleased to have finished. My time then was 1:31:30.

So today... the temperature on my speedo read 6', the wind felt like snow, and it hailed at my house while we were over at the race (eldest son who didn't ride today took pics and it looks like snow! youngest son proudly showed us a bowl of hail he had scooped off the trampoline!).

By some good fortune, the sou'easterly squalls ran around us - or we biked in between them and although bitterly cold, we stayed relatively dry.

Today I was again spectacularly dropped, but improved my time - today it was 1:23:00. So - worse conditions, better time. I am very pleased.

As a side note, my partner won A grade, my 16 yearold won B grade (they both raced 49km) and my 13 1/2 yr old who has just gone up to the grade above me came second. All in all, a very successful day... I was very pleased to come home and hop straight into the bath eldest son had run for me.

EDIT: Just worked out the averages for each 10km section of the race... this demonstrates how hilly the first half is.

1-10km.... 44 minutes, av speed 13.64kph; very hilly, mostly up, very few "downs"
11-20km... 21 minutes, av speed 28.51kph; a couple of sharp descents, but also climbs and false flats
21-30km... 18 minutes, av speed 33.33kph; some gentle descents, but also false flats

RoadRaven
06-15-2007, 09:37 PM
I actually just meant to pop in to post the brief race report above... but I have been meaning to show pix of my bikes, and my partner took pix of them this morning.

The EMC2 is my road race bike and the Giant TCR is my time trial bike.

I have said in several threads that I will pop up pix of them both for comparison in terms of seat height relative to how low I drop the front end.

My next step is to flip the stem over on the Giant and lower the front end more so I can get lower - I'll probably do that closer to summer...

I don't race with the bottle cage on the Giant, and the seat bag is missing from my EMC2 because I don't race with it on - too dangerous - and I raced on it today.

HillSlugger
06-20-2007, 11:27 AM
Probably many of you have the thread I am about to discuss on your ignore list, because a significant number of women here are not racers or interests lie elsewhere...

But my lovely bikes are feeling sad because no-one has noticed them...
I don't have the Race Results section on "official" ignore but I don't frequent it, either.

Your bikes are gorgeous. I'm sorry that they feel ignored. ;)

Do you have problems with crosswinds with the deep aero wheels?

Wahine
06-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Those are very pretty bikes. The thing about TT bikes is.... they look fast even when they are standing still. I love the look of TT bikes. I've been surfing ebay for one myself for triathlon. Hmmmmmm. Maybe one day I can have a TT bike as pretty as one of Raven's.

RoadRaven
06-20-2007, 11:36 AM
I love the term "chuffed". Just for that, I checked out your pics. Are those concave tubes on the EMC2? That's pretty cool!

And TT bikes always trip me out. They look so substantial and heavy, though I know they're probably light as a feather. That's one seriously high seatpost you've got there, Raven.

They both look like they're ready to win some races! :D

Yes, they are concave tubes in the EMC... makes the colour flash so prettily!!! Seriously, they look very "sexy" and the whole line of EMCs have very sweet lines to them.
High seat post cause of long legs on a smallish frame... still have to get that bladed though (the seat post) though the rest of the frame is aero.

And MD... I have a confession to make. Those wheels were a gift from my partner a week or so back, and the weather has been so bad since he glued the tubulars on that I havn't had a chance to try them out... besides, they have a 90kg weight restriction on them, and I have to drop another 9kgs before I can use them in a race...

Wahine... I like the way TT bikes look too... something almost intimidating about them. Looking forward to hearing about you having success with finding a tri bike for yourself :)

Thankyou, Kali, MD and Wahine for posting
:) We (my bikes and me) appreciate it :p

RoadRaven
06-20-2007, 11:42 AM
Oy.
You want to flip that stem on the Giant to get even LOWER!! :eek:
Ohh, my back hurts just thinking about that! Are you made of rubber?

I felt the breeze from those speedy bikes just looking at them. Pretty hot looking. Nice.

I don't often read the race results thread. I don't ignore them. I just don't usually go and read them, either.

Thanks Regina - they are hot... I really like 'em...
Yep, wanna flip the stem, want to get just a tad lower at the front... but I need to completely shed my belly first cause otherwise its too uncomfy when my thighs hit my tum...

RoadRaven
06-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Those are bikes I only can dream of having...awesome. Do you race a lot? I own a brand new Giant OCR3 (lowest end of the Giant, but works for me). I've had it for 6 months now and love it. I can just imagine owning one of those you have.

Thanks Violette... they are not top end bikes... more middle I guess as far as money goes... I race every Saturday, and a couple of organised events over Summer. Next year I'm going to get a licence so I can race outside of my club and have a go at some new things.
My partner and 3 eldest sons all race too...
Giants do make nice bikes - glad to hear you have one too.

tprevost
06-20-2007, 11:55 AM
Road Raven.... those bikes are gorgeous! The Giant looks fast just sitting there!!! I haven't been on TE as much lately so I didn't see them at first... just beautiful!

KSH
06-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Pretty bikes Raven. I love the TT bike the best!

Velobambina
06-21-2007, 08:25 AM
While both bikes are lovely, I like the blue one better! Do you prefer one over the other?

RoadRaven
06-21-2007, 11:35 AM
tprevost, KSH, VeloB...

Thanks for the admiration - will be sure to tell them when I head out this morning...

Do I prefer one over the other... oh... hard, hard question...

The EMC is certainly the prettier in terms of colour and paint job...

They both feel comfortable to ride, but of course I could ride the EMC far longer because of the position...

But the Giant is fast...

Unfair question!!! Thats like asking which of my five children is my favourite... they all are my favourite!

RoadRaven
06-26-2007, 08:45 PM
Bear with me while I post the remaining posts from the "waaah, look at me" thread I started... Just this (Ravin On) is one of the threads I keep a hard copy of and I'd like to have the comments handy to take out and read to my bikes :p

RoadRaven
06-26-2007, 08:47 PM
ShubieGA: The EMC really pops, and the Giant looks like she'd blow you off the line standing still! Nice stable.

MissyMaya: Hey Ravin'
I haven't been on too often due to work and trying to fit time into to ride. Those bikes are hot and look fast, so I could only imagine how quick you are while riding them I was looking into a time trials bike but decided to get a competitive road bike instead (new purchase yeah for me), so I know the feeling of new stuff and upgrading. Awesome bikes

MimiTabby: Persons who are amused by looking at cool bikes might not think to find them under race results!
You'd be better to post them in their own thread (like this one)
nice shots

Lisa SH:
Originally Posted by RoadRaven: Yep, wanna flip the stem, want to get just a tad lower at the front... but I need to completely shed my belly first cause otherwise its too uncomfy when my thighs hit my tum...
Just get a few extraneous lower ribs removed and you'll be good to go....

Jiffer: Very nice! I'd like to do a race in my future, but I don't know about time trials. A whole 'nother world to think about, plus the very interesting looking bike to buy!
It's nice to have a bike you can be excited about, huh? Or in your case, two. (Well, we have the tandem, so I guess I have two. Hubs has the MTB in addition to his road bike, so he has three. Then there's the kids who each have their own bike. Our garage looks like the LBS!)
Have fun with your beautiful bikes!!!

KiwiGirl: oooh - my 2006 Fem Equip 5 http://www.emc2bikes.com/index.php/p...il/bikemodel/8 is jealous of your Etape's better bits

SouthernBelle: Nice. I have a Giant. different from yours though!
Maybe we should have a special section for bike porn. Everybody can have their own thread where we take sexy pics and post them. Sorta individual bike porn blogs.

Meg McKilty: This could be bad if one of the bikes lies about it's age, though.

BikerHen: Oh my gosh! I feel dirty just looking at those sexy bikes!
Very, very nice! bikerHen

Smiling Cat: Hi RoadRaven, I thought I had posted my comments of your bike. You've been giving me lots of good advice for my TT bike so I thought I did... If I forgot in the excitement, I am really sorry.
I do love your bikes. They are gorgeous.
meowmeow
Smilingcat

ShellyJ: Hi RoadRaven, those are some nice bikes that you have. Thanks for showing them to us. The TT bike is gorgous, well they both are but I do like that Giant.

DDH: Love the bikes!!! I'm very impressed with you and racing both TT and road races.
I can't believe you want to get down lower on that bike, are you going to be riding upside down? LOL Just kidding!!

Python: Aww. Poor bikes feeling sad and lonely
Cheer them up. Tell them they are absolutely gorgeous
What's your top speed on them?

Artisan:
Originally Posted by RoadRaven: Yep, wanna flip the stem, want to get just a tad lower at the front... but I need to completely shed my belly first cause otherwise its too uncomfy when my thighs hit my tum...
Your bikes shouldn't feel sad because they did not go unnoticed...you have awesome bikes and I wish I had your wheelset.
It's funny, I never thought I had a belly until I got my TT bike and my leg started bumping into something I thought was nonexistent. Sigh...reality slapping me in the thighs!

RoadRaven
06-26-2007, 08:49 PM
Hey there folks - really appreciate everyones replies!
Its really strange, having responded to so many of you on your bike pics (when the pics load for me), to now be on the "receiving" end.

Mimi... I was just trying to be economical with the number of threads I start... and it made sense to me to pop them in the thread where I talk about all my rides and training and racing goals.

But point taken, my bikes believe they are due adoration and have instructed me in the future to create their own special thread where everyone will notice them!

LOL DDH, you know, being upside down might not be such a bad notion... if I could get so low I could fit under the top stem, maybe have my legs shortened so they don't stick out sideways.... LOL, sorry, just playing with the image...

Maybe it would be easier to just get a few ribs removed... good suggestion Lisa!!!

Python... top speed? Well, downhill in full tuck position on the EMC2 my top speed (this is a straightish downhill mind you, with a long stretch of straight flat at the bottom) is 72kph.

EMC2 Top speed on the flat with a tail wind is 46kph, top speed on the flat in a racing bunch, 38kph (but I can't sustain that for too long - about 2-3km and then I fall off)

Giant - my top TT average is 32kph over 25kms, mostly flat but unhelpful wind. Top speed, pushing a big gear, on the flat, no wind (but again not sustainable over a TT distance) is just under 40kph.

Jiffer, sounds like a nice stable - we've got a few too - partner has 4, son 1 has 3, son 2 has 2, son 3 has 2, son 4 has 1, I have 2 (all road bikes) plus 3 mtn bikes, a bmx and my daughter's city bike which we are buying today. We're contemplating building a bike shed/workshop, because our cars are living outside!

Artisan... the wheel set is awesome. My partner bought them for me a couple of weeks ago - he'd had a root canal and felt sorry for himself, so to cheer himself up he bought me those Vipers! The back wheel is 1/3 lighter than his HED disc. I have yet to ride on them because the only nice weather we have had has been while I have been at work in the office! There is a TT Saturday week and I am really hoping for nice weather as I want to use the front wheel. (I need to lose a bit more weight before I can use both of them - great motivation, huh?

MissyMaya, congrats on the road bike - I can't remember if I have seen it or not. But you really need a TT bike too... Really, you do...

Kiwi! Aren't EMCs sweet to ride? I got it and it was just so clean, and smooth and comfortable and just felt like a part of me - and such a purty colour. Eric really knows how to design a niiiice bike. I reckon you made a good choice!!!

Shubie... Belle... BikerHen... Cat... Shelly... thanks all for your comments... when I walk past them this morning, I'm sure my bikes with purr and preen when I tell them what has been said.

LOL, Meg... my bikes? Lie about their age? Never! They always give the age of their most recent upgrade!

And then Zen had to have the last (most amusing) word...

ZenCentury: Originally Posted by RoadRaven... my bikes? Lie about their age? Never! They always give the age of their most recent upgrade!
With that reasoning, Joan Rivers is ten years old

RoadRaven
06-26-2007, 09:04 PM
Well conditions were pretty severe... forecast for hurricane winds, turned out to be only :rolleyes: severe gale gusts!

Still, we had only 57 turn up to the previous race, and for this one there were 125 riders...

Only about 15 of the women rode in the women's only grade, but it was a good race. However, the organisers cut most of the rides short and our race ended up only being 25.5km long...

Partner and I wondered why - I mean, its either safe to ride or its not, right?

Started well, the controlled start remained controlled with us not getting above about 27kph til we got round the corners and over the bridge... then the pace went on and thats when I got a bit peeved... came round the corner onto Swamp Road with the bunch and then three girls (literally - about early-mid teens) sat up, 3 abreast...
:mad:
By the time a couple of us had got around them the front bunch were way in front of us. We kept pace with them for a long time at about 33-34kph, but I just couldn't lift it anymore to close the gap, the head and cross gusts were rageous at times and the Caro began to really feel it as she has had a few weeks off her bike. So I did most of the work into the wind as we closed the gap to a woman in front.

So Caro and I picked up the woman infront, a visitor for the day (whom neither of us had met before) and a young woman, Ash caught us so all four us worked well worked well along the next two roads as we wound our way back to the start.

We came in together and the Ash sprinted round me as we came up to the finish, and then the visitor and Caro zipped past me too - I couldn't be bothered, there were no p[oints to be gained (every one in the women's race got 5 points).

It was an excellent workout and a good race and alot of fun to work with others and not come in on my own.

We had an average of just under 29kph, which is not bad considering it was cold and blustery and we didn't have the benefit of the bunch.

This coming Saturday is a time trial (YAAAAAY!) over a hilly course(WAAAHHHH!) .... should be a most excellent workout if nothing else. I am still focused on losing weight so do not expect a "stella" performance...

Eden
07-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Hey Raven - where are you! It's been nearly a week since we've heard from you. Hope you're just on vacation or busy and all is well.

RoadRaven
07-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks for asking Eden. Its nice to know that in this very busy forum I was missed.

The last two weeks have been a study break – but for my students, not for me or the teaching team I work with.

We have had a conference to attend, assignments to mark (for me nearly 60 individual essays, reports and portfolios), assignments for our own study to write or complete (for me a 5000 word lit review), course books to write for the new semester which starts this morning and of course lesson plans to prepare. On top of this I want quality time with my partner and children (who are on their school holidays and the youngest grumpy that I can only swing 2 days to work at home) and of course I HAVE to fit in training and race days!

So yes… busy, not unwell, but thank you (again) so very much for asking.

Will come back to this thread with a couple of race updates… I’ll just check out the rest of TE first…

RoadRaven
07-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Well, today is "Once round Apley". This is a reasonably hilly course... a tough one for me... its only 26kms but the fastest I have done this ride has been with my partner and I did it in 1hour 28mins... in a race situation I hope to do a PB...
:cool:

My last two races... on 30th June I did a 25km hilly TT. I did it in 52mins, and was pleased with that. I am not a hill climber (yet, she says hopefully) so I was pleased with the time. I also know where I lost time over the two women I hoped to come close to or beat - those hills. On the flats I would gain seconds, and on the climbs they would stretch away from me again. I am really looking forward to the next FLAT ITT!!!

Last weeks race, again I came in at the end of the bunch over the 20km moderately hilly course. I came close to my PB, and again felt very satisfied - It was the best ride I have done over that course, and the reasoning behind that is there were strong gusts blowing straight off the mountains covered the previous night in snow.

My speedo read 6-7'C (42-44'F I think). Despite warming up at home on the spin bike, and before the race, and putting warming up oil on my thighs and calves, my legs began to stop work about 10km before the finsih. I could have done better for body - I forgot my arm warmers and my windproof vest. I wore shorts, not long legs. I actually raced with a supermarket bag inside my shirt and tied to my crop-top to stop the cold. Badly dressed, bad weather, dropped by the main bunch after about 7kms and I still came close to my PB. It was a good day.

So... Apley here I come... Its a circuitt I know well and the sun is shining today - so far no wind. Think I'll wear my "long legs" today though anyways :p

RoadRaven
07-13-2007, 09:33 PM
1:04:14

:D :) :D

RoadRaven
07-15-2007, 10:53 AM
A good race, I gave it everything I had. I was still coughing the following day from the intensity, with aching shoulders and neck muscles still, I am very pleased with myself. I gave it everything I had.

The day was clear, virtually windless and promisingly sunny, a nice change from the past few race days though still cool at 12’C. F grade had seventeen starters. The usual suspects were there… the ones who would set the pace… the ones I tried so hard every week to stay with on the flats. Also a couple close to me in ability… my goals were set as we waited for our count-down:

1. Stay with the bunch until the first climb (350metres at 10&#37;)
2. Stay ahead of #14 and #31, and try and stay with #12
3. Beat my previous PB set in June.

The controlled start round the first two corners stayed controlled for only the first corner. Round the corner and onto a slight rise and we were suddenly doing 28kph. #31 fell off the back as we climbed the rise, I tried to call encouragment as she slipped back but all I could manage was a grimace.

Down and round the second corner over 40kph, and then we settled into a steady 35kph along/up the false flat for the 5kms before the hills began. I took a couple of turns on the front, but as the pace lifted to 38, I just stayed on the back, sucking wheels for all it was worth.

We turned the next corner to the first pinch - #14 and I brought up the rear… I hung on til we hit the short but nasty 10% climb. I was at the back, watching #14 in front of me, and the leaders disappearing over the crest but at the top #14 had blown his legs and I caught him before the next climb began. About 20 metres in front of me I could see #12 who had lost touch with the main group also, so I focused on him, determining to catch him so we could work together, and not be caught by #14.

The next 7km is a steady climb of averaging about 5-6%. I did not manage to catch #12 (however I did maintain a steady 20-25 metres behind him), but I did increase my lead on #14… YES! :D I didn’t want to work with him, because we are too close in ability. I knew I could descend more quickly than him but he is strong on the flat. One of my personal goals whenever he races is to beat him… so I am better to be in front on hills, “breaking his spirit” than working with him. :cool:

By the time we crested Apley Road and turned onto Puketitiri Road, I had increased my lead and changed up a couple of gears as the incline eased. A short descent and another slight incline before a solid kilometre at about 7%. This is the apex of the circuitt and this is where I lost touch with #12. He descended faster than me and was well gone by the time I reached the bottom.

However, I also descended well and had increased my lead over #14 to nearly 600metres.

Into time trial mode and I didn’t drop below 30kph all the way along the last flats, staying mostly at 33-4kph into the breeze... sometimes lifting to 37kph. Unbelievably I made ground on #12 and saw him turn onto Puketapu Road… but he was nearly 1km ahead of me now, and I would not catch him before the finish line.

Coming into the second-to-last climb before the finish, I looked behind and see that, as I feared, #14 has made ground on me. Panic mode… not now, not after staying away for so long… how can I find more? My head aches from the intensity of the climbs, my lungs burn from the heavy steady breathing of the flats. I have been watching my heart rate all the way, trying to stay above 158bpm on the flats. I glance down again…

Incredibly my heart rate has dropped to under 150bpm… my legs may be saying one thing (STOP!!! PLEASE!!!) but my monitor tells me I can do just a little more. So I try and lift the intensity, focusing not on the aching burn in my thighs but on the numbers on my monitor. 155bpm… 158… 160… yes, but more… I can do better… I reach the last climb… its only about 400metres at about 5%… watch the monitor, make the numbers climb, c’mon, you can do it… 161bpm … glance behind, can’t see him, 165bpm … glance up… half way there… glance behind, think of the break-aways in the Tour glancing back to see chasers, or sprinters as they come up to the line… reach the last corner just before the crest… glance over my shoulder again… gonna make this… he’s only half way up… dig it in.

Change up a gear, and another… get ready for the final descent down to the finish… only 350metres to go… glance behind as I crest… no sign of him, dig it in girl, dig it in… glance behind, look back to the finish, glance behind, no sign, dig it in, 169bpm… 170… finish line… glance behind as I slow down, glance again, and again… see him finally charge down the hill, glance at my speedo as he crosses the line… 54 seconds behind me… YES…

What a race… I loved it. I came in 8 minutes behind the winner… but 8 minutes is achievable… I lose my time on hills, and THAT I can improve. It makes such a difference to be in a race and not dropped off the back and riding on my own.

I couldn’t think to eat when I got home, threw burger patties and mini hot dogs in the oven and then sat down and left everyone to fend for themselves. I had 3 mini hotdogs and went and soaked in the bath – when my partner called out to me I realised I had fallen asleep in the bath! A very good day.

Trekhawk
07-15-2007, 05:27 PM
WOOOHOOO!!! Well done Raven. What a race and as usual I feel drained just reading that.

Oops nearly forgot love the bikes.:D

SheFly
07-16-2007, 03:38 AM
Nice job! I loved reading that you kept a 33 - 40 kph pace on the way back - sounds like you were rockin'!

Hills stink :D . I have finally started coming OUT of my aero position to climb the one significant hill on our course - helps to open me up and breathe better, and provides leverage when I get out of the saddle to climb the hill...

Congrats on a great race!

SheFly

RoadRaven
07-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks SheFly and Hawk, I still feel really good about this race (though SheFly, I meant 33-34kms, not 33-40kms... I wish...)

Still perfecting the way to climb on bullhorns and aeros... on my RR bike I go into the drops or stand... but the TT bike handles a bit different and am still getting used to it.

I used my new Viper on the front (I'm still too heavy to risk both Vipers yet) and I don't know if it made a difference (though it is lighter than my training wheel) but I FELT fast :p

This Saturday is a 34km race but with three small hill climbs... haven't done this one before - well, not in this direction. So based on other times i have looked up from past races, I'm looking for a time of 1:15 to 1:20... time will tell.

SheFly
07-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Hey Raven - how did you do on Saturday????

SheFly

RoadRaven
07-25-2007, 02:02 AM
Hmmm... how'd I go Shefly? Thanks for asking!

As far as the race goes? Well, I sucked - Lanterne Rouge AGAIN :rolleyes:
Think I need to paint those words on a plain red jersey!!!

However, til I was dropped I did some really positive things, like dragging 2 riders who had also been dropped up to a fourth rider and then we all worked well as a team.

These three dropped me on the first hill... ssssooo funny though - Ivan kept looking behind and waving me forward - I just called back as loud as possible "haha, very funny!"

So from there on in it was time trial mode... whew... time to dig deep and suck it up on the remaining hills.

So I get over the first hill and whistle down the other side 50-60kph (getting better and better at cornering downhill) and manage to pull myself to within about 25metres of them before the next hill... and then I lost them completely. Dropped my chain near the top of this middle hill (losing 30secs or so as I had to stop to sort it out) and by the time I got over and down, they had disappeared from sight.

Another flat so I slipped my hands over the top of my shifters and flattened my forearms, trying to get the best aero position possible.

Last hill, and after dropping my chain again (think I was kicking it off somehow...) I really tried to drag everything I could out of my thighs, kept my heart rate above 158bpm all the way... caught sight of one of the three I had been riding with - he'd lost touch with the other two, and that gave me the incentive I needed to keep myself under pressure... unfortunately I never caught him, but it was good to have someone to chase.

I was pleased with my time... 3 (for me) significant hills, a fair ammount of mild head wind, about a minute lost to getting the chain back and riding without the benefit of others...

1hour 18minutes... one of the women I aspire to ride like did it in 1:06 2 years ago... so I'm well on track - she has cycled for some time and is smaller and younger than me.

I'll get there... and I just have to accept that this was not my course - but wow - what a fantastic training workout!

(Despite not winning one race and regularly being eligible to be Lanterne Rouge... and because I have turned up every week this series... I am 12th on the points table out of 31 riders in my grade!)

This Saturday is a Team TT... I have two other women to ride with so far, we are of similar ability and strength and have ridden well together in road races... we just need to find one more. It should be much better than my last experience :)

Trekhawk
07-25-2007, 08:54 AM
As always great ride report. I felt like I was there with you. Well done.:)

RoadRaven
07-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Loooooong post - apologies in advance, but this was a fun day :)

Well, my second Team Time Trial has been – and gone… On page 2 in this thread, I described my first TTT last December, which was – if nothing else – a disappointment. It left me feeling frustrated and angry and useless.

However… Saturdays ride was an absolute pleasure (though uncomfortable at times, and intense, but nevertheless a pleasure). A relatively flat loop course… a total of 37.5km in a 3 lap circuitt.

I had approached a couple of other vet women a few weeks ago and they had seemed keen to ride. However, D hadn’t been along to the previous couple of races, and C had been unwell although had felt she should be on track to race. They may not be there to race - ah well, thats ok, and if they turned up we wouldn't make up the required 5, but we figured we could sort that on the day.

The day is a stunning Hawkes Bay day, calm, sunny, mild… spring has arrived. But when we get to the race venue, my compadrees are nowhere to be seen – yet. So I head off on a warm-up (and spend about 10 minutes picking up shattered Steinlagers off the road til a marshall arrives with a broom!). I was feeling a bit hoha at this point – my last TTT left me nothing to anticipate this time, so I was happy to tootle off on my own if no-one else made it.

Get back as the briefing begins, and see C… great, at least two of us can ride together. A bit later, D finds us… excellent, but we aren’t allowed to start til we have 5. So we line up on the side and wait hoping someone else doesn’t have the numbers for a team and together we can make one. A visiitor to the club arrives last minute, this will be her third ride with us (next time she has to join)… she’s a vet and she thinks she is about the grade we 3 ride in… perfect!

After a bit of cajoling, the starter lets our team line up (depsite having only 4 riders, but you need 4 to cross the line, so as long as we work together…)… the count down begins… and D says – sorry to do this to you guys, but I’ve got a flat! So the three of us head off and D walks her bike over the starting line, and we will pick her up on the second lap.

So, we set off, H and I have had a chance to warm up, but C hasn’t, so we ride this at a steady pace with H and I doing a bit more work than C while she finds her legs. I am impressed by how well we work together – I begin to think that this was a good race to come to and how it is nothing like the last TTT. C’s husband and daughter team pass us with words of encouragement. That feels good.

Lap 1 is over, we pick up D and C has found her legs and the pace picks up. A nasty head wind in a couple of places, but we rotate well, take turns according to our strengths and even find time to chat occasionally! Our average is looking good. Half way through the second lap we see a couple of riders who, Tour de France style, have been taken out by a labrador, they are ok, but shout a warning. We are passed by my partner and son's team, they don’t seem to notice us but it doesn't matter, they are intent on not letting the fastest team in the club catch them so I feel good knowing they are all together and not in pieces on the road.

Lap 3, and our pace still hasn’t dropped. We are working so well together. This is so much fun. We still haven’t been passed by everyone and we have passed a couple of teams. We aren’t last, I think to myself – and strangely for me – this doesn’t matter so much. I am enjoying myself so much, our final place doesn’t really concern me.

We dig it in on the final straight, I take it up to 36kph (into the head wind) and then when I start to drop back to 35, D takes over, and as she drops off we approach the finish. We cross the line together, H and C whooping with pleasure… we rocked. We absolutely rocked.

We were the only four woman team, we had only three riders for the first lap and four for the following two (many teams still had five riders when they finished). Yet despite the disadvantage of team size, we still came 17th out of 22 teams and we all felt good about it. We did a very comendable time of 1hour 11mins. Did I say our team ROCKED!!!!?

SheFly
07-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Yahoo! That was a FUN race report to read - so much different from your last TTT. And you were kranking at 36 kph :D . Congrats on a terrific race - in the end, feeling good about what you have done and HAVING FUN are the most important aspects of the race.

Well done.

SheFly

Trekhawk
07-30-2007, 02:28 PM
LOL - Your joy is pouring from this ride report. WELL DONE to you and your team.:)

RoadRaven
08-01-2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks girls - It was an absolutely fun day (just in case I wasn't 100per clear ;) )

In that last paragraph I meant to write we were the only all-women team (not four women - though that is true too :p ).

The fastest team, TeamHub, did an average of 44.52kph in a time of 51:05
My partner & sons team came second with an average of 44 even in 51:41 minutes - they were 1 1/2 minutes behind TeamHub last TTT, so they are catching up!)
Only five teams did it in under an hour.

The slowest time on the day was 1hour 25minutes, so our team (who rocked) came very respectably in the middle of the field with 1hour 11minutes (and I reckon we had the most fun - well... :rolleyes: I did anyways)

RoadRaven
08-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Not much to report really
The last time I did this out and back course (which was also the first time), I got a flat about 3/4 of the way through
Today I was having trouble using my oxygen and turned back about half-way out... so I have yet to complete this course.

My upper lip (where a moustache would be if I was a man) kept tingling - sensation I haven't had since I first started cycling... a sign of not enough oxygen.
I didn't fancy tackling Coops Hill in oxygen deficit so turned around.

And Spring had the day off today - I know last week I said Spring was here, but today is was raining, the steady breeze was cold and the temp on my speedo read 5'C.

Think I'll try a hard ride tomorrow - I only ended up with 25km under my belt (and my thighs are still cold! :p )

Wish I'd had the camera today, my partner and two sons who also raced today all wore the yellow jerseys of their grades! Pretty cool.

Trekhawk
08-04-2007, 09:43 AM
Not much to report really
The last time I did this out and back course (which was also the first time), I got a flat about 3/4 of the way through
Today I was having trouble using my oxygen and turned back about half-way out... so I have yet to complete this course.

My upper lip (where a moustache would be if I was a man) kept tingling - sensation I haven't had since I first started cycling... a sign of not enough oxygen.
I didn't fancy tackling Coops Hill in oxygen deficit so turned around.

And Spring had the day off today - I know last week I said Spring was here, but today is was raining, the steady breeze was cold and the temp on my speedo read 5'C.

Think I'll try a hard ride tomorrow - I only ended up with 25km under my belt (and my thighs are still cold! :p )

Wish I'd had the camera today, my partner and two sons who also raced today all wore the yellow jerseys of their grades! Pretty cool.

Sounds like you made the right decision. I hope Spring pops her head up again soon.:)

RoadRaven
08-11-2007, 08:29 PM
On the 14th July we raced around Apley, and we did it again yesterday... on the scale of the other 124 riders there my ride was probably unremarkable... but in relation to me... it rocked.

I shaved a full minute off my July time despite an extremely strong nor'wester on the way out and nasty cross gusts on the downhills. I could have probably got another minute or so because the tail wind back was mighty, but I was towing two other vet women and everytime I got up over 45kph they dropped off. Next time I think I'll just TT it on my own if I am in the same position and go for a PB.

One of the more senior/better riders who was supporting some of the other riders there passed me and slowed down and passed me a few times as he checked on other riders. He came up to me afterwards and told me what he thought I was a very strong rider... that was nice to hear.

Afterwards I sat and waited for my partner to arrive back from marshalling, and chatted with a few other riders. One was telling me how her husband was comparing her to one of her training partners (as in, you're not as strong/fast/quick as her). I sat and listened and thought how very lucky I am to have a partner who believes in my ability so strongly and unquestioningly even though we are poles apart in ability. He has never once told me that I am not good enough, fast enough or should be doing better (or ever given me reason to believe he even thinks this).

He is one of the main reasons I keep turning up to races... cause he knows that just finishing a race can be challenge enough.

Saturday was a good race day... and I wasn't last home either!

Trekhawk
08-11-2007, 08:48 PM
On the 14th July we raced around Apley, and we did it again yesterday... on the scale of the other 124 riders there my ride was probably unremarkable... but in relation to me... it rocked.

I shaved a full minute off my July time despite an extremely strong nor'wester on the way out and nasty cross gusts on the downhills. I could have probably got another minute or so because the tail wind back was mighty, but I was towing two other vet women and everytime I got up over 45kph they dropped off. Next time I think I'll just TT it on my own if I am in the same position and go for a PB.

One of the more senior/better riders who was supporting some of the other riders there passed me and slowed down and passed me a few times as he checked on other riders. He came up to me afterwards and told me what he thought I was a very strong rider... that was nice to hear.

Afterwards I sat and waited for my partner to arrive back from marshalling, and chatted with a few other riders. One was telling me how her husband was comparing her to one of her training partners (as in, you're not as strong/fast/quick as her). I sat and listened and thought how very lucky I am to have a partner who believes in my ability so strongly and unquestioningly even though we are poles apart in ability. He has never once told me that I am not good enough, fast enough or should be doing better (or ever given me reason to believe he even thinks this).

He is one of the main reasons I keep turning up to races... cause he knows that just finishing a race can be challenge enough.

Saturday was a good race day... and I wasn't last home either!

Well done Raven!!!
Yes sometimes its good to be reminded just how wonderful your partner is. Obviously from your conversation they are not all like that.
Sounds like you have a gem.:)

RoadRaven
08-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Yeah, I do.
I must have done something right sometime, because I sometimes wonder how he chose me.

Hawk, I have been meaning to ask you how your holiday went... if you have written about it somewhere here and i have missed it can you link me to it?

Trekhawk
08-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Hawk, I have been meaning to ask you how your holiday went... if you have written about it somewhere here and i have missed it can you link me to it?

Here it is mate:
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=17103
Its pretty brief but it has a few pics.

It was a great holiday just wish we had more time to spend in some of the lovely places we visited.:)

RoadRaven
08-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Well... last race of the winter series yesterday... and it was really good - I got a place!
Woohoo!

I have been eligible for the Lanterne Rouge all winter but today I actually got a place in my grade. There were 16 starters and I came 8th.

I hung on to the handful of leaders (the pace hovered between 34kph and 38kph) for the first 7kms or so... people were dropping off like flies from about 2kms in. Somehow I managed to be in the right place at the right time and was able to stay with them every time the pace went on and a break was made.

My partner has been unwell, so he rode with me today rather than racing in his grade. It was so good to have him there beside me encouraging me along. Having someone tell you you can do it and having that tangible, physical belief in you makes all the difference.
He hasn't ridden with me in a race situation since the start of the year and can see the improvements and says he was impressed with my grit and determination to hang on to the leaders as long as I could.

Once I was spat out the back, I ended up riding with two others who were not in my grade, and boy, I was "on the rivet" for much of this race... although all flat (which I love) the wind was strong and often we were heading into it, or it was blowing us sideways.

My average ended up at only 30kph for the 28km course, but the conditions were tough. I feel very pleased with it (despite having another rider whom we passed say 'I don't ride with cheaters"... like any of the three of us were going to affect the final placings in any of the grades! grrrr... I wish I had registered who it was so I could have had a chat with him afterwards.)

And last week’s race I was very pleased with (despite getting thoroughly trounced). I was dropped on the first hill and arrived last-equal with C (from the TTT). However, we both rode much of this race on our own in difficult windy conditions over a hilly course, and we were only 4 minutes behind the winners of our grade. I thought we did very well.

So... my goal at the start of this series was to ride every race of the 13 scheduled - which I have.
I also wanted to "be competitive" in this grade, and today I proved it is possible... I got placed in the top ten at last.

It was the last race of the series, and I came 12th overall in my grade. There are a total of 38 riders in F grade.
(I was the only one in my grade who turned out for every race over winter... my points are indicative of consistent riding rather than sterling results )

The Spring series has no graded racing for the next 8 weeks - it is made up of interclub age races, club champ age races and events/fun rides and opens. So I will look to the summer series to try and be "up there" in the top ten a little more often.

Trekhawk
08-26-2007, 05:57 PM
WOW Raven!!
Sounds like you had a great season. Give you self a big pat on the back for getting to all the races.

I look forward to hearing about your next load of adventures.:)