PDA

View Full Version : Long Runs Mon 9/11 -Sun 9/17

kaybee
09-16-2006, 07:19 AM
Okay, laides, post 'em!

RP and I were supposed to do 9 today but stopped at 8 since we're both still dealing with PF issues. :mad: On a more positive note, we both felt great at the end and find ourselves running each run faster than our goal pace. So, if we can just get the feet under control, we'll be A-OK.

How did everyone else do?

KB

trickytiger
09-16-2006, 11:16 AM
I've got a 15-miler scheduled for tomorrow- we'll see how that goes. I just rode 125 miles last weekend- so I haven't been in the running shoes for anything longer than 5 in the past week.

Grog
09-16-2006, 02:05 PM
No long run for me this weekend, training schedule says recovery week, only 5km on Sunday. I'll go for a 7km with a friend on the trails, but nothing longer until next Sunday (11 km I think). Doesn't really qualify as a long run yet but I like to think that I'm getting there!!

I love this thread, keep it going!

Running Mommy
09-16-2006, 07:31 PM
HA!! My "long run" was the whopping 6 miles today!:D
I'll prolly do 8 next weekend. I'm back with my old running coach and we are just starting to ramp up the miles from my base 4-5 milers. I'm sure I'll be up there with ya'll before too long...
Good thing I'm not actually RUNNING in November (NYCM) now huh?! :p

limewave
09-17-2006, 05:57 AM
Looks like I'll be taking a rest weekend too. I have a foot injury from cycling of all things. I pulled a tendon on top of my foot--it's swelled up like a golf ball and I can't wear any shoes. A bummer because I'm at the peak of my training. I was scheduled to do a 20-miler :eek:

TT--good luck on your 15-miler today. And everyone else, glad to hear your runs went well.

btchance
09-17-2006, 09:02 AM
rest week for me. I was sick for the 2nd half of last week and the first 1/2 of this week, then on call Thursday and Saturday. Anyways, I did an easy
3mi run on Wednesday, did an uptempo run of 3mi on Friday, then today I did double brick (what do you call the run/bike/run for duathlons?) of 1/20/2. Now off to rest, and study. good luck to all of you with your runs!

colby
09-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Today's sermon was from the book of Marathon, week 10, day 7. Day 6 and 7 were less perlious journeys than last week, with 6 miles and 9 miles respectively. The children's lesson this week was "stay on the right!" as they passed the runner on the trail. "Single file!" their father cried; the runner thanked him for his mercy in erasing a potentially dangerous obstacle, just one of many she had encountered. Others included a Little Yappy Doggie too small to see between the feet, Happy Mormons Leaving Church, the Taller and Faster Running Man, and several Caged Animals.

I opted for a loop of what's usually 4 miles and two loops of what are usually 3 miles. Since I didn't quite return all the way home, I figure I lost at least a half mile from the first 7 miles. When I got to the third loop, I was going to cut it shorter at about 2 miles to do my 9, but the clock said either I was going fast or needed more miles, so I added the last mile on. Even with the extra mile, I still finished under an 11 minute mile pace (if it was 9 miles), so I have no idea what the distance actually was.

Next weekend is another long run, somewhere between 16 and 20. I think I'll drive myself to a shady part of the multi-use trail and do 3 loops of 6 miles. I don't have a 6 mile distance measured out around home, and 4-6 loops of my meausred distances (3-5 miles) will drive me nuts anyway. I can get to the trail from my house, but it's a really exposed and dry area. Depends on weather, I guess.

Halfway there! Marathon in 9 weeks.

Deborajen
09-17-2006, 05:15 PM
I did my 10-miler today. It was my longest training run. Tuesday will be a 2-mile easy run, Thursday will be 5 miles tempo, and then Sunday is it - the HM.

Today's run was o.k. I got a massage yesterday so my muscles felt funny, but I made it and actually went a little faster than I was supposed to at a comfortable pace. It was really windy so about half the run was into the wind. (I hate wind!)

Runners World said the training is about base miles, and don't train for that much distance by running that distance ("you'll have to trust us on that"). Right now, it's hard to picture running 13 miles and it's also hard to think what kind of pace I want set since I haven't done it before. I don't want to set a goal that's too ambitious and have to bail, but I still want to have a good experience and not regret holding back too much.

I'll find out next week! Hope all of you have a good run this week. Hang in there, stay strong and stay healthy.

Deb

Lise
09-17-2006, 05:43 PM
This week's 8 mile run turned into a 3.5 mile run when Jamie, my running buddy, overslept, and I had somewhere I needed to be after our run. She was having a lot of back pain, and wanted to walk pretty often, so I was glad to cut it short. I came home, quickly showered, changed into bike clothes, and rode 9 miles to meet friends for brunch. I'm hoping the 18 miles roundtrip on the bike added something to the run...

This week's shorter runs are going to be a bit longer, I think. 1/2 marathon in 2 weeks. It helps that I've done this race before, so I can picture it, and know where the tough spots will come. I'm worrying that Jamie will want to walk more often than I do...but who can say. Maybe it'll be me! :o Maybe we'll both run strongly, and have a great race together. :D

Brina
09-18-2006, 09:33 AM
I was a bad, bad girl this weekend. I have been at a party every night for the last 5. I am going to check myself into Betty Ford and then start running again when I check out. Just kidding - my official half marathon training program starts this week. it is time to get serious.