PDA

View Full Version : Recovery time?

ClockworkOrange
09-13-2006, 06:42 PM
:rolleyes: Can somebody please explain 'recovery time?

I have just ridden four days in a row, quite hard rides, before I go to work for midday, about 1.20 minutes and averaging 12 miles.

The terrain is mainly off road with a little on road, quite a lot of small hills.

Today was the 4th day and what a struggle, my energy was non-existant.

Is it advisable to perhaps ride 3 days then have a day off?

Many thanx.

Sally

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Missbe/sport-smiley-023.gif

tygab
09-13-2006, 09:22 PM
:rolleyes: Can somebody please explain 'recovery time?

I have just ridden four days in a row, quite hard rides, before I go to work for midday, about 1.20 minutes and averaging 12 miles.

The terrain is mainly off road with a little on road, quite a lot of small hills.

Today was the 4th day and what a struggle, my energy was non-existant.

Is it advisable to perhaps ride 3 days then have a day off?

Many thanx.

Sally

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Missbe/sport-smiley-023.gif

So, recovery time is typically tied to the distance and exertion needed. So for a short ride of easy pace, you'd really need very little recovery time. If the next ride you say went out and did double the distance and a heck of a lot faster, you might be in a situation where recovery time is needed. Generally, as I understand it, recovery time is usually in the context of achieving a major event or distance that has taxed you beyond a typical training level (like, after a century, or marathon). And then it's usually a period of several days to weeks.

My sister, a marathoner, suggested that she is supposed to rest one day for each mile after a marathon - 26 days - before resuming training. I'd asked her for thoughts on cycling recovery, and she didn't know since she doesn't bike... but I ended up needing about a solid 10 days or so after my ride (153 miles/2 days) to gain back my usual energy. I suppose if I were in the habit of doing them all the time it'd be less recovery time. The crazy marathoner guy who ran or is running a marathon in each state in 50 days isn't taking *any* recovery time. For him, a 26 mile run is I guess normal. In any case, we both had trained and prepped for those respective distances.

Similar to what you're more asking (I think) about training, intensity level and rest/recovery. A well known professional cycling coach, Chris Carmichael, suggests exactly what you noticed - 3 days of medium to upper intensity days, then one day off, as opposed to conventional wisdom of day on/day off approach to exercise. I just read this in a book I picked up.

But it's seasonal, too... in other words, I don't think I personally will do this thru the dark months of winter, as I am not training 'for' anything in particular. My main objectives will be maintaining fitness and building up a bit more aerobic base, without going gym crazy. However, it might be something I would try going into the spring and next summer...

You might see if it works for you. At any rate I'd say whatever works for you is best - but rest is very important to allow your body to adapt and replenish itself. Finding a pattern of activity to rest that keeps you feeling energetic is very necessary.

BTW, another tid bit I read was something like, if you are normally scheduled/planning to do a workout, and you're not 'feeling it', tell yourself to give it 10-15 minutes. If at the end of that time, you're still feeling unenergetic and lacking motiviation, it's ok to walk away for the day. But a good amount of the time, you'll have settled in past those initial negative thoughts, and be on your way....

hope this helps a little...

ClockworkOrange
09-15-2006, 11:47 AM
Hi tygab

Many thanx for taking so much time in replying, as I really was not too sure about it.

Yes, I think for me, 3 days of riding, then 2 days off. It fits into my schedule quite well.

It's strange sometimes, how your body stops when it's had enough. Wish it did the same when I was eating! :eek:

Sally

RoadRaven
09-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Hey there Clockwork

Remember also that recovery time can be "active recovery" which is going for a ride at low resistence, so your heart rate sits in zones 1 and 2, and you dont push big gears.

I cant take 2-3 days off the bike without my legs starting to ache. I will hop on the indoor bike and ride really gently for about half an hour, or go out with my youngest and ride on the flats with him and my legs feel so much better.

It is important also that you mix up your rides a bit... rather than 3 hard rides, 2 days off, consider a hard ride, and recovery ride, a hard ride, a day (or two) off, an enduro ride, a hard ride... something like that... what do you deem a hard ride?

...because that will guide how you recover and what other rides you do to compliment it and develop your all-round skills.