PDA

View Full Version : My Wrist is CRACKING while changing gears

light_sabe_r
09-12-2006, 10:50 PM
I have a hybrid... With those rapid fire type shifters...

My front derailer has been a bit of CRAP recently and I have to push the derailer beyond the gear in order to go up... coming back down it's no issue

As I've been shifting up I've realised that my (left) hand's going at a rather odd angle in order to go from granny to midrange... or mid to BIG.

YESTURDAY my hand has been CRACKING while shifting gears! You know, some people crack their knuckles, or neck (I crack my toes he he he) I crack my wrist.

It's actually starting to hurt a bit.

What do you girls think. BF and the LBS have both made adjustments on the derailer but it's still a PAIN to shift! Should I go to the doctor and just make sure I haven't damaged it somehow. Should I, Ummm... Warm up my wrist?

Does anyone have some WRIST warm up stretches?

It's not affecting my work or anything since I'm a righty but I'm just getting worried.

ReneeLynne
09-14-2006, 05:59 AM
My right wrist cracks as well. I recently switched to a road bike from riding a hybrid with the type of gears you're talking about. I'm not sure that my wrist cracks as a result of gear shifting, but that would explain why my right wrist cracks but not my left -- much more shifting with the right on the small hills on my commute.

I also tend to get some numbness and tingling, particularly in the right wrist, during long rides...you have inspired me to look for some stretches. The link below contains some decent looking stretches that appear to be designed for those who have carpal tunnel problems (which hits both desk and cycle jockeys; I'm both!!):

http://ergocise.com/wrists.html

Don't know that this will stop the wrist cracking, but I imagine it will help both of us overall.

lph
09-14-2006, 10:04 AM
I have a hybrid... With those rapid fire type shifters...

My front derailer has been a bit of CRAP recently and I have to push the derailer beyond the gear in order to go up... coming back down it's no issue

As I've been shifting up I've realised that my (left) hand's going at a rather odd angle in order to go from granny to midrange... or mid to BIG.

Sorry, no tips on the wrist cracking, but a couple of thoughts on your derailleur. If you have to "over-gear" it upwards the wire probably needs a little tightening. If it's a bit hard to push then lubing the wire plus maybe the derailleur in strategic points should help. And finally - if the entire shifter is placed so that your wrist is at an awkward angle you could try loosening it from the handlebars and re-positioning it at a more comfortable angle.

mimitabby
09-14-2006, 10:09 AM
Are your handlebars too long for your arm span?

this could really screw up the angles
i had my handlebars cut on my hybrid.