PDA

View Full Version : Elves & More Texas Cycling Classic

midgetcycler
09-12-2006, 08:26 AM
This is the next charity ride I'm doing. It is in Montgomery, Texas. Anyone else planning on doing this one too?

This organization raises money to buy bikes for kids for Christmas. If you look at their website, you can see how they have filled the convention center with tons and tons of bikes. They secretly scout out neighborhoods before Christmas that they think the kids need nice new bikes. Then right before Christmas they go out there with a full truckload of bikes and give one to every kid that shows up. It is awesome. My Dad has done this one for the last few years, and he and my little sister have even gone down to help them build the bikes.

Here is their website: http://www.texascyclingclassic.org

I don't think I will have to collect pledges for this one, but you can always donate extra. I think on the registration form it says $40 extra will buy a kid a bike. 100% of the proceeds will go to buy bikes, helmets, or school supplies.

Did I mention there is a Texas Hold'em Poker run on this ride too?? :D

amelia05
09-12-2006, 10:17 AM
I did this one the first 2 years, and it's far-and-away my favorite ride of the year. I'm planning on either the 23 or the 42-mile route this year, depending on whether my husband decides to ride with me. Here's (http://www.allrighthere.net/archives/wd/001733.php) my recap from last year (the music link doesn't work anymore).

As you can probably tell from the recap, I love this ride. The scenery is lovely, the route is challenging (for me, anyway), and it's extremely well supported. I've never stayed for the meal/festival afterward, so I can't speak to that. The poker run is fun...though I never even got close to winning either year. :p

midgetcycler
10-16-2006, 05:50 PM
Elves & More is this Sunday! I am all registered and I'm going to pick up my packet on Thursday. I think we are going to do 60 miles. Can't wait!

Anyone else?

amelia05
10-17-2006, 07:10 AM
I'm in for 42! Right now, weather looks great for it (high in 70s, low of 55, 30% rain), but yesterday's deluge is making me a bit nervous. I missed the last charity ride I was going to do because of weather, so I'm really looking forward to this one.