PDA

View Full Version : Should I try a century earlier than I had planned?

kaian
09-11-2006, 07:31 PM
I've been training since May, working towards a century. I decided a while ago I would do my century at the Blue Water Ramble (in MI) which is Oct. 1st. I chose that date because it's the end of the season and I wanted to give myself lots of time. Well, I'm getting nervous about the weather. I do not like to ride in cold, windy weather and I'm afraid of the possibility of that day being just that. I am doing a ride this Saturday - the Celebration of Cycling. I had intended on doing the 75, but wondered if I should go ahead and do the 100 because the forecast is 79 and sunny (my ideal riding weather). The furthest I've ridden is 70 miles (just this past Saturday). It was a cold, windy day and I felt like I got hit by a truck when I was done, but I did the 70 miles.

Anyway, I'm wondering if it's too big of a jump to go from 70 to 100? I've been riding 3 times a week (sometimes 4) since May, adding 10 percent to my distances every week (with occasional breaks). My average speed for my longer rides is 16-17 MPH. I feel pretty confident that I can do it, but have a little concern because every time I increase my mileage by 5-6 miles, I feel it! I don't know if it's mental, but I've had a couple of rides where I wasn't sure I was going to make it back because my body was so tired and achey.

Comments? Suggestions? I appreciate any insight!

7rider
09-12-2006, 07:19 AM
Did you do your recent 70 miles alone?
I find that riding with a group - such as on an organized century - is MUCH easier than solo rides. More to look at, there are breaks at rest stops, and folks to talk to. The miles fly by.
I don't think it's too much of a jump to go from a 70 miler to 100. Sure, it will be a challenge (isn't that the point?). But if you did 70 in snotty weather, I think 100 in (predicted) ideal conditions will be a snap. You seem to have a good solid base. Just pace yourself and use those rest stops.

Brandy
09-12-2006, 08:03 AM
You'll be fine...go for it! I started riding in May and did a century on August 19th. My longest rides prior to the century were a bunch of metrics (63-65 milers) and I was fine. Good luck!

Kimmyt
09-12-2006, 08:33 AM
I just started riding this year and my goal was to do a century in October, to give me time to train. I got bored and decided I was missing too many rides, plus the century I wanted to do was the same weekend as another event I had planned. So I said, what the heck.

I did a metric century, and then my BF and I did an unsupported 70 or 80 mile ride on flat roads. Enough to say, well, ok it's only 20 miles more and plus you get food and rest stops and you can take all the time you want.

Then we did a century, and it wasn't a big deal. Granted, our times weren't super fast, but we did it and felt good afterwards. A few weekends after that we did our own century, a 50 mile trip out to my dad's house and then back, unsupported, and we realized that 100 miles is mostly mental, especially if you're ok doing 65. The hardest thing for me was the 80-85 mile mark. My mind wanted to stop riding, but what was I going to do? I had to keep going. That's the thing about century rides. If you get tired, and I did, you can just pull off the side of the road and rest a minute. Even if you have to do this several times, it's ok (unless there's a time cutoff). Also I think it helped that I didn't have a bike computer, so I couldn't eagle-eye the distance. I think that would have made it seem like much longer! I just rode until the next rest stop, and then it was over!

K.

spokewench
09-12-2006, 09:42 AM
You should have absolutely no problem doing 100 after doing 70. I have never ridden 100 getting ready for a 100 mile ride and that includes my 1st time riding 100!

Be aware that you will feel like you did 100! But, that is okay! When I'm riding distances, the way I get myself thru them is to ride from rest stop to rest stop. You get to the last rest stop before the end and you say to yourself - I can ride 20-30 miles (whatever it is to the end) any day of the week. I can do it today too and then "wala" you finish the 100!

Have fun, keep your sense of humor, and believe in yourself!

kaian
09-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone! It seems like a good opportunity to finally do it with the possibility of great weather and all. The ride is Sept. 16th (this Saturday), so I'll let you all know how I did! :D

Geonz
09-13-2006, 06:45 AM
As long as you don't get with a group that goes faster than your sustainable pace, the group effect will make it totally do-able. YOu'll prob'ly be tired, but supported rides are a great way to stretch your horizons.
Then go plug hte miles in at bike journal and see how your ranking boings up!!!

SJCzar
09-13-2006, 07:54 AM
I definitely agree with everyone else. It is sooooo much easier to do 100 miles on a well supported organized ride then even 60-70 on your own. Part of the reason I sign up for so many rides is I know that I'll do so much better because of the well timed stops with plenty of food and drink that I would never do on my own.

When I did my first Century of the year in June, I hadn't ridden more than 65-70 at a crack, and I had no problems with the 100.

At this time on the year in the Midwest, you'd better take a nice weather opportunity when you can get it. It doesn't mean that you can't still do the other Century.

kaian
09-17-2006, 05:08 AM
Yesterday was the Celebration of Cycling and I did the century!!!! :) I felt great through the whole ride. I rode with 2 other people I know and that made it easier than riding alone - not so much drafting (because we didn't do a lot of that), but just the companionship.

I was a little tired after, but not any more than on the 70 mile ride I did last week. After cleaning up, we went and got food and beer. Great recovery method. hahaha. Today (the day after) I feel fine. A little sore in my legs and girl parts, but don't feel battered or anything.

Thanks for all of the encouragement. I'm already planning what longer rides I want to do next year! hahaha.

So...now that Winter is coming, what should I do to not lose too much fitness? Spinervals? What else?

jobob
09-17-2006, 06:36 AM
Excellent !!!! :D Congratulations kaian !