PDA

View Full Version : Don't you hate it when that happens?

Lise
09-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Today I grabbed a package of Trader Joe's chicken enchiladas from the freezer for lunch. Delish after my 5 mile run. I noticed that the calorie count was only 240, with 9 gm fat. Remarkably satisfying, I thought. Two tasty little enchiladas with cheese and green sauce. So much better than Lean Cuisine.

Then.

I threw away the wrapper, and made the mistake of looking at the nutrition label again.

:eek:

That was 240 PER ENCHILADA! In other words, I ate every calorie I had just burned off. Yes, a tasty 480 calorie, 18 gm fat lunch. You will not be surprised to hear that I had brown rice and steamed veggies for dinner. :rolleyes: :p

Veronica
09-11-2006, 03:15 PM
480 calories isn't terrible for lunch. That actually seems on the light side to me.

V.

snapdragen
09-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Yikes. That would be close to half my WW points for the day. :eek: And yup, I've done it before too....

Lise
09-11-2006, 03:31 PM
480 calories isn't terrible for lunch. That actually seems on the light side to me.

V.
It's just...I was so happy...9 gm of fat...sniff :p

Veronica
09-11-2006, 03:32 PM
My gosh Snap - how much do you get to eat on WW?

V.

snapdragen
09-11-2006, 03:40 PM
I get 23 points per day, with 35 extra to play with for the week. So, without any exercise, I can have up to 28 points a day. 1 point is about 50 calories. If something is high in fat, that can up the points. I can earn extra points by exercising - which I still don't do enough of. It's not as bad as it sounds, my problem is getting myself moving more.

salsabike
09-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Darn. I HATE that. And it's happened to me too. Too much work to then give away those damn calories!

7rider
09-11-2006, 03:43 PM
If you consume what you burned, than it's a zero-point gain.
No biggie. Are you trying to actively lose weight or maintain?
Too much stress over calories burns calories, anyway :p
So don't worry, you probably came out ahead!

Veronica
09-11-2006, 04:05 PM
That's only about 1400 calories. I hope you get lots of points when you exercise!

V.

Lise
09-11-2006, 06:53 PM
If you consume what you burned, than it's a zero-point gain.
No biggie. Are you trying to actively lose weight or maintain?
Too much stress over calories burns calories, anyway :p
So don't worry, you probably came out ahead!
Yeah, I actually burned closer to 600 on the run (gotta love the treadmill. I have no idea how many calories I burn on a normal ~outdoor~ run). I ate 200 calories of Clif Blocks during the run, and probably 100 calories of dark chocolate while heating up the enchiladas. But fretting about the calories surely burned some, too. :p

I'd love to lose 5-10#, but I've finally figured out that when I'm training for a distance event (a 1/2 marathon right now), I do much better when I get enough to eat!

It was just a shocker-oo to realize I'd eaten double the fat I thought I'd eaten! No wonder it was so tasty and satisfying! :D

SouthernBelle
09-12-2006, 05:54 AM
I hate when they do that to you. I hafta remember to check servings per package.

I love Amy's Organics.

maillotpois
09-12-2006, 10:52 AM
oh Lise - that stinks!!

snap - you actually need to call it "wine watchers" if you are in the "extra bitter" club. I typically get so many extra pts w/exercise that WW works pretty well. it makes me stay conscious and pay attention.

this crazy medicine I am on stinks because I have to limit/avoid green leafy vegetable. the zero point wonders. grr.

xeney
09-12-2006, 11:02 AM
Ugh. You are giving me bad flashbacks to Weight Watchers. I do not think that is enough food for an active person -- the last time I did WW I only had 5-10 pounds to lose, and I was in the lowest point range, and I made myself so sick. Even with the activity points, I crashed on every ride and came back from every run light-headed and miserable. I was eating 1400 calories a day, running and biking and canoeing, and over the course of two months I gained five pounds. I went off WW and lost seven pounds right off the bat.

People really aren't kidding when they talk about throwing your body into starvation/deprivation mode. I don't think WW is a very healthy plan for active people who have only a small amount to lose.

snapdragen
09-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Yup MP - when I'm riding regularly (Yes! I used to do that!) WW was great - I easily dropped a couple pounds a week. And was able to have all my favorite indulgences - Lemon Drops, chocolate, wine....

I do have a tough time sticking to WW when I don't exercise though.

chickwhorips
09-12-2006, 01:41 PM
ooohhhh i hate that too lise! specially when you think your doing so good for the whole day.

i still can't get off the ww thinking. still look at things and go this is worth x amount of points. i made a cucumber salad last night and all i could think of while i ate it last night and finished it off today was: this is zero points! woo hoo and then i had a snickers (bad cwr!)

CyclChyk
09-12-2006, 02:28 PM
This is SOOOO off the topic but WOW Xeney you have got ONE CUTEY PETUTY DOG!!!!! I just want to eat him up!

Ok, guess you can tell I am a dog person. Go back to your business. I'll keep quiet now.:p

maillotpois
09-12-2006, 04:33 PM
i still can't get off the ww thinking. still look at things and go this is worth x amount of points. i made a cucumber salad last night and all i could think of while i ate it last night and finished it off today was: this is zero points! woo hoo and then i had a snickers (bad cwr!)

CWR - LOL, that's funny! Been there! Usually mine's the airpopped popcorn followed by a bottle of wine. How many points in a bottle of wine...? :rolleyes:

(I hate to say that I know the answer to that one....)

Veronica
09-12-2006, 04:39 PM
So my bag of Cheetos would be wayyyyy off the scale then. :)

Sort of on topic... my class this year is really into my policy of eating a healthy snack in the morning. One girl had chips and the others told her that was not a healthy snack, so she switched to strawberries. :)

V.

chickwhorips
09-14-2006, 05:16 PM
(I hate to say that I know the answer to that one....)

i do too and i was going to answer this right before i realized you said you knew.