PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Baker Hillclimb

Eden
09-11-2006, 09:30 AM
Last race of the season! I actually started doing this as a ride before I started racing. They run it with recreational and competitive divisions so this is the third year I've done this race/ride, but the first year I've ridden it in the competitive division. It's cool because it gives me a measuring stick for my yearly progress.
They call it a hillclimb TT, but its not really. It's a mass start race that gives individual times. People are so strung out by the top that there are no mass finishes. The route is 24.5 miles with 4300 feet of elevation gain.
Once again there were not enough women to have our own field. This means we had to go off with the men. I wasn't really looking forward to this, but I think in the end it may have worked to my advantage. There is a fair amount of rolling to flattish leading up to the main climb and guys can be useful. The guys I was with were doing their best to get me to the base of the mountain as fast as they could and not make me work too much. (It's been this way in years past too - as the rec riders start all together no matter how many there are of either sex.)
My main goal this year was to go under 2 hrs. I was just over at 2:04 last year. I hit the base of the main climb at 48 min so I felt I was doing pretty good, since I seem to remember getting there at just around 1 hr last year. The main climb is 10 miles to go so I was working hard at trying to keep myself at least around 10 mph to be sure to make my goal. The last 2.5 miles is the hardest part too, so I wanted a good buffer for that section. I hit the ski area (2.5 miles to go) at 1:35 so I was thinking I was in pretty good shape, but never underestimate that last bit. It gets steeper and I swear you can feel the air get thin (you hit about 5,000 ft at around that point I think). I felt like I was crawling that last mile or two. Down to about 7mph and gasping to go that fast, for a while, but I crossed the line well within my goal at 1:52! I won my age category (this is not a USCF race so no cat divisons, just age divisions) and I was third overall (for the women of course)! Great way to end the season and I can't wait until next year.

roshelleuop
09-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Way to go Eden!!!!! Awesome!!!!! :D :D :D

I hate hills so you are definitely an inspiration!!!!

Roshelle from Milwaukee

Lise
09-11-2006, 10:03 AM
Amazing. I am so impressed that you work that hard on hills, in thin air. So impressive. What a great way to end your race season!

Lise, from the flatlands.

KSH
09-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Great job on reaching your time goal!!!

mimitabby
09-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Hey Eden,
can we use you for a ringer on our Menage a Trois uphill race Oct 1?
it's 10 miles and 2100 feet of climb, with 1 hill that is 12% grade. (Mt Rainier area)
please please?

Eden
09-11-2006, 10:29 AM
Hey Eden,
can we use you for a ringer on our Menage a Trois uphill race Oct 1?
it's 10 miles and 2100 feet of climb, with 1 hill that is 12% grade. (Mt Rainier area)
please please?

I'm so sorry - I'm already commited to being a mentor at one of the Women's Intro to Racing and Teams rides on that day. Good luck though - it sounds like fun and I'm sure you will do well.

salsabike
09-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Hey, Eden--congrats! What's the route?

Veronica
09-11-2006, 04:25 PM
What a way to finish the year. So cool to see how much you've improved.

V.

Eden
09-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Hey, Eden--congrats! What's the route?

Straight up rt 542, from the town of Glacier to Artist Point

salsabike
09-11-2006, 07:43 PM
Good God. For some reason, my first thought was that it was, like, in the Mt. Baker neighborhood of Seattle. No no no---Eden meant a ride that actually approaches MOUNT Baker, as in the North Cascade Mountains. WELL done, girl.

Eden
09-12-2006, 09:40 AM
So the full results came out today - I was the only one in my age group......no wonder I won it. But, I still beat my goal :rolleyes:

spokewench
09-12-2006, 11:15 AM
You may have been the only one - but you were there, You Did it!

The rest of your age group was sleeping and scared of YOU anyway!

It sounds like also you were 3rd overall - THAT IS AWESOME!

Grog
09-12-2006, 07:20 PM
Very cool Eden!! Congrats on breaking the 2h mark! I'll see you there next year... euh, I mean, can you wait for me at the finish?

BF and I wanted to do it this year but he was on call so it didn't happen. Next year, we're on!!

Eden
09-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Very cool Eden!! Congrats on breaking the 2h mark! I'll see you there next year... euh, I mean, can you wait for me at the finish?

BF and I wanted to do it this year but he was on call so it didn't happen. Next year, we're on!!

Can't wait to see you there! The more women the better!

KnottedYet
09-12-2006, 09:00 PM
I'll start at Glacier, sure. I'll have a beer or two at Graham's. Then I'll ride up the road a bit, then go back to Graham's. :D

I think I'd puke if I tried to ride all the way up to Artists' Point.